News & Notes
Tonight, ABC has a Once Upon a Time: Secrets of Storybrooke special, the fourth spring season premiere of Once Upon a Time and the series premiere of Secrets and Lies, CBS has the series premiere of Battle Creek, FOX has the series premiere of The Last Man on Earth, and PBS has the first season finale of The Great British Baking Show and the fifth season finale of Downton Abbey.
Over on cable, Food Network has the series premiere of All-Star Academy.
The Simpsons (FOX): New. Homer is put in a place of responsibility after a Nigerian king visits Springfield to make a deal with Mr. Burns.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX): New. Charles’ dad and Gina’s mom are getting married and everyone is assigned wedding duties.
The Good Wife (CBS): New. Diane and Cary work on a case after Colin Sweeney sues a TV producer for basing a character on him that he doesn’t like. Alicia and Frank are competing for a big donation. Plays again later.
Episodes (Showtime): New. Sean is mad when Matt doesn’t seem to like their new show. Carol attempts to slow down her relationship. Follows a new House of Lies and runs 30 minutes. The previous episode, “Episode 406,” replays earlier this evening.
Madam Secretary (CBS): New. Elizabeth needs to hire a consultant to work on her public image after getting humiliated at a budget meeting in regards to her microloan program and possible corruption that her staff did not find. Plays again later.
The Walking Dead (AMC): New. The group tries to get used to their new surroundings. Runs 61 minutes. Plays again later three times. Last week’s episode, “The Distance,” replays right before.
Battle Creek (CBS): Series Premiere. A small city police detective gets a new partner when the FBI opens a satellite office and mismatched buddy cop dramedy ensues. I’ve heard that subsequent episodes get better, but the setup of the show in tonight’s premiere just didn’t work for me.
- Fortitude (Pivot): Repeat. Last Thursday’s episode, “Episode Six,“ replays. The previous episode, “Episode Five,” replays right before.
- The Last Man on Earth (CBS): Series Premiere. A guy travels the country looking for other survivors in 2020 after a plague kills everyone and then heads to Tucson where he contemplates what he is now going to do after not finding anyone. Runs 60 minutes. While the premise doesn’t seem like something that can work long term for an ongoing TV show, this really is worth checking out.
- Once Upon a Time (ABC): Spring Premiere. Gold seeks some allies after his banishment. Henry looks for clues about the Author.
- Secrets and Lies (ABC): Series Premiere. In the first episode, A family man finds a dead boy in the woods while on a morning run. The lead detective seems to immediately focus on him as the prime suspect. In the second episode, Ben begins his own investigation into what happened. Runs two hours. While there are some problems with the show, I found the mystery intriguing and am interested in following it to the end. It feels a little like a serious version of Desperate Housewives, where it takes place on a street where the neighbors all seemingly know each other, but turns out they don’t really.
- Togetherness (HBO): New. Michelle is hosting a fundraiser for the charter school. Tina is struggling with her business. Follows Girls and runs 30 minutes. Plays again later.
- ABC has doubleheader NBA action today.
- CBS has doubleheader college basketball action today with SMU at UConn and Michigan State at Wisconsin.
- CBS Sports has tripleheader women’s college basketball action today with Roberts Wesleyan at LIU Post, Richmond at Virginia Commonwealth and Marquette at DePaul.
- ESPN has NBA action tonight.
- ESPN2 has tripleheader women’s college basketball action today with Texas at West Virginia, North Carolina at Duke and South Carolina at Kentucky.
- ESPNU has doubleheader women’s college basketball action today with Texas A&M at LSU and Stanford at Oregon followed by doubleheader men’s action with Pittsburgh at Wake Forest and Arizona State at Colorado.
- FS1 has three college basketball games over the day with Marquette at Providence, Oregon at Stanford and Washington State at UCLA.
Sunday TV Marathons
CSI: Miami (WEtv): Seven episodes tonight.
Doctor Who (BBC America): Has 15 episodes.
Roseanne (WEtv): Has 12 episodes today.
South Park (Comedy Central): Has 17 episodes.