Last night on American Idol the remaining nine contestants got a little help from Tony Bennett. You didnâ€™t really get to see very much of his working with each singer, but most of them did really well. Overall, it was a pretty good night.
So, what did they sing and how did they do?
American Idol Season 6 â€“ Top 9 Performance Rankings:
- Melinda Doolittle â€“ She was the third to sing and chose â€œI Got Rhythm.â€ It was an outstanding performance. She, more than any other in the competition, connects with the song she is performing and you donâ€™t just hear it, you feel it. Randy said she was giving â€œa lesson in singingâ€ in how she â€œinterprets lyrics.â€ Simon thought that the judges wonâ€™t ever â€œbe able to criticize you.â€
- LaKisha Jones â€“ She got to go last and sang â€œStormy Weather.â€ She was back and reminiscent of her first performance back in the first live elimination show where she really took control of the stage. Not quite the same, but darn close. Randy thought it was the â€œperfect songâ€ for her and Simon thought she was â€œback on formâ€ with a â€œsassy great performance.â€
- Jordin Sparks â€“ She sang â€œOn a Clear Day.â€ Randy told her â€œthat was da bombâ€ and Paula was just â€œso frickin proudâ€ of her. Simon thought she â€œsang it very well.â€ I think she can sing just about anything and really well, but lacks the connection with the lyrics that Melinda has each time. Jordin is technically perfect, but you donâ€™t really feel it. There is a disconnect of sorts, but not as bad as last week when she seemed so nonchalant.
- Blake Lewis â€“ He went first and sang â€œMack the Knife.â€ It was quite a smooth performance and a nice start to the night. Randy thought it was the â€œperfect songâ€ for him. Paula thought he â€œpersonified pizzazz.â€ Simon gave him a â€œ7 out of 10,â€ while he gave the band an â€œ8 out of 10.â€
- Chris Richardson â€“ He was the fourth to take the stage and sang â€œDonâ€™t Get Around Much Anymore.â€ It was really good, even though I donâ€™t particularly care for his sound. Randy told him it was â€œone of your best performances of the entire season.â€ Paula thought it was his â€œbest performance, bar none.â€ Simon thought it was â€œvery goodâ€ and â€œvery believable.â€
- Gina Glocksen â€“ She was the sixth singer of the night and sang, â€œSmile.â€ I thought it was a very beautiful performance. Randy thought it was a â€œvery nice controlled performance for the rocker girl.â€ Simon thought the vocal wasnâ€™t quite up to par.
- Haley Scarnato â€“ She was second to last and sang, â€œAinâ€™t Misbehavinâ€™.â€ Once again like two weeks ago, she went with the sex appeal angle. Too bad this is a singing competition. Paula commented, â€œYou did your thing.â€ I have to agree with Paula that she did her thing, but we just may disagree on what her thing is. I would say that it is wearing short dresses with low cut necklines and throwing in a few shimmies and shakes at just the right time.
- Phil Stacey â€“ Was second to go and sang â€œNight and Day.â€ Randy didnâ€™t â€œfeel any real connection.â€ Paula thought he sounded like a â€œyoung Frank Sinatra,â€ who promptly rolled over at this assertion. Simon thought it had â€œall the joy of someone singing in a funeral parlor.â€ It was kind of a weird performance. While the vocal wasnâ€™t bad, it just sounded almost like he was doing the opera version of the song. I think this could be his week to go.
- Sanjaya Malakar â€“ He was the seventh to sing and chose â€œCheek to Cheek.â€ Randy wouldnâ€™t comment on the vocals, but said he is an â€œentertainer.â€ Paula thought he was â€œcharmingâ€ even though the â€œvocalsâ€ were â€œa little off.â€ Simon decided to take a different tact and with all the sarcasm he could muster, declared the performance, â€œIncredible.â€
Sanjaya should be the one to go, once again, but will probably stick around another week. I think Philâ€™s performance could finally show him the door on American Idol Season 6. The bottom three should be Haley, Phil and Sanjaya.
Who do you think had the best performance of the Top 9 on American Idol Season 6? Who do you think will be sent packing? How far do you think Sanjaya can make it before his journey ends?