How Did the Top 10 Girls Do? – American Idol Season 7
The girls took the stage singing songs of the 1970s and it was a night of bad song choices and the singing wasn’t much better. There were only a couple or really good performances. The guys were actually better, overall, than the girls than this week, which is not a good sign, since they didn’t do all that well.
Here’s how the TVaholic would rank last night’s Top 10 Girls:
- Carly Smithson – Was first to go and finally started a night off with a really good performance. Randy thought it was “good towards the end” and that it was “all right.” Paula thought it was “an amazing job.” Simon thought it was “a much better song than last week,” but it didn’t provide that one “moment” that makes you stand out. Simon does think she is the girl to beat in the competition.
- Brooke White – Was third to go and sang Carly Simon’s “You’re So Vain.” Randy thought it was a “great song choice.” Paula thought it was “the perfect song choice.” Simon thought it “absolutely connected” and this is why they had put her through in the competition. I really like her and she sounded really good.
- Kristy Lee Cook – Was fifth to sing and was definitely better than last week. Randy thought it was “100% improvement over last week” and that he “liked it.” Paula said, “You’re back.” Simon thought it was better than last week, but doesn’t know what kind of singer she is yet. I think if she headed down the country road, as Simon suggested, she might be able to stand out from the rest of the crowd.
- Syesha Mercado – Was second to take the stage and was pretty good. Randy thought it “wasn’t the right song choice” and that she needs to pick better songs. Paula thinks she needs to pick songs that are better for her big voice. Simon thought it was “indulgent.”
- Asia’h Epperson – She took the stage last and tried to go out big. Randy thought she did a “really good job.” Paula thought it was “great.” Simon thinks you need to be quite the diva to pull off the song and she isn’t one, but she almost got away with it. She sang Celine Dion’s “All By Myself.” It didn’t sound all that great to me. Would agree with Simon that she almost pulled it off, but the song showed her up.
- Alaina Whitaker – She was seventh to take the stage and wasn’t really good. Randy didn’t think it was the right song choice for her. She sang Olivia Newton John’s “Hopelessly Devoted to You.” Paula thought she “did a real good job.” Simon likes her, but she seemed very “old fashioned.” He thinks she is the dark horse in the competition.
- Ramiele Malubay – Randy thought it was “okay.” Paula thinks she is “one to beat,” but this wasn’t a great song for her. Simon agreed with Paula. She was fourth to sing and it was kind of odd sounding. Good at some points and not so good at others.
- Kady Malloy – The ninth singer to take the stage tonight and she got off to a rough start. Overall she vocally sounded pretty good, but the performance was off and not that good. Randy thought, “It didn’t work.” Paula thought she sounded great when she powered. Simon didn’t think it went anywhere.
- Amanda Overmeyer – Was sixth to take the stage and looked scary, not scary good, just scary and her performance wasn’t much better. She sounded pretty bad at some points. Randy didn’t think it was the right song choice and that she should keep the bluesy rock sound. She sang Kansas’ “Carry On Wayward Son.” Paula didn’t think it was the right song either. Simon “really, really didn’t get that.” It was not good.
- Alexandrea Lushington – Was eighth to sing and didn’t do very well. She was my second favorite last week, but it was the worst of the night so far. Randy thought it was a “safe choice.” Paula rambled something. Simon thinks she is “struggling right now” and looked “uncomfortable” singing it.
So, the TVaholic would send Alexandrea Lushington and Amanda Overmeyer home after last night’s performances from the top 10 girls on Season 7 of American Idol. But, I don’t think that Overmeyer will be going anywhere just yet. Lushington might not either, but it looks it will be her and Kady Malloy this week. Was right on the money last week, so will probably be completely off this week.
How did you think the top 10 girls did last night? Who is your favorite? Who do you think will be going home? Leave your picks in the comments.