News & Notes
Saturday nights on CBS will soon be the first network TV home for mixed martial arts fighting, as four two hour specials will air each year. CBS has signed a multi-year deal with ProElite, Inc. No word yet on when the first of these specials will premiere.
Old School (ABC): Released 2003. Three friends try to recapture their youth by starting an off-campus fraternity. Runs two hours. Even with commercials and edited for TV, this is a better option than going to see Will Ferrell’s new movie Semi-Pro this weekend.
Jimmy Kimmel Live’s All-Star Salute to Jimmy Kimmel Live! (ABC): Clips of past guests and comedy bits from the late night talk show.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (NBC): Repeat. Logan and Falacci are up and are investigating an execution style shooting of some college students.
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (NBC): Repeat. A couple of extremists looking for some publicity may be behind the theft of some embryos.
Law & Order (NBC): Repeat. Three roommates are found dead and it looks like it may be a murder suicide until it is uncovered that one of them had a relationship with prominent political figure.
Bill Engvall’s Here’s Your Sign Awards (CMT): New. The comic gives away $10,000 to the funniest home video. Plays again Sunday afternoon and night and multiple more times next week.
Torchwood (BBC America): New. The team is investigating mysterious deaths at a sinister medical clinic. Last week’s episode,” Adam,” replays right before.
George Carlin: It’s Bad For Ya (HBO) New. The now 70-year-old comedian talks about manufactured heroes, bumper-sticker philosophy, over involvement of parents and general stupidity.
- Saturday Night Live (E!): Repeat. “The Best of Will Ferrell, Vol. 2” plays and then a Will Ferrell hosted episode that had Queens of the Stone Age as the musical guest plays. As with Old School above, either of these would be preferable to his new movie that opened yesterday.
- Trading Spaces (TLC): New. A woman redecorates a room in her mother-in-law’s place, while the mother-in-law does one in her place. Plays again later.
- ABC has Arena Football followed by college basketball with North Carolina at Boston College.
- CBS has a college basketball tripleheader with Duke at North Carolina State followed by Georgetown at Marquette and then Texas at Texas Tech.
- ESPN has four college basketball games starting early with Pittsburgh at Syracuse followed by Texas A&M at Oklahoma followed by Ohio State at Minnesota and later Kansas State at Kansas.
- ESPN2 has doubleheader college basketball early followed by NASCAR racing with the Nationwide Series: Sam’s Town 300.
- NBA TV has the Detroit Pistons at the Las Angeles Clippers.
- NBC has third round coverage of the Honda Classic golf tournament.
- MADtv (FOX): Repeat. Jerry Springer hosts as some of the more shocking sketches are replayed.
- Saturday Night Live (NBC): New. Ellen Page (Juno) hosts with musical guest Wilco.
ABC Family has Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone followed by Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
G4 has 15 episodes of Cheaters early and five episodes of Attack of the Show! tonight.
Hallmark Channel has six two-hour Mystery Woman TV movies starring Kellie Martin.
MTV has six episodes of America’s Next Top Model early and another five later.
MTV2 has a Jackass: 24 Hour Takeover.
Spike TV has Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 tonight.
Style has six episodes of Clean House.
USA has 14 episodes of NCIS.
WE has six episodes of 48 Hours.
What do you watch on a Saturday night?