How Did the Top 8 Girls Do? – American Idol Season 7
The girls took the stage singing more songs of the 1980s and it was better than last week, but I think the guys might have been better overall this week.
Here’s how the TVaholic would rank last night’s Top 8 Girls:
- Brooke White – The seventh singer to take the stage and sang Pat Benatar’s “Love is a Battlefield.” It was a low-key performance with only an acoustic guitar in the background. Randy “really liked it.” Paula rambled. Simon thought that she made it her own and that it was a “great performance for the second week in a row.” She is quickly becoming my favorite on the show.
- Carly Smithson – Randy “loved it.” Paula doesn’t think there are enough adjectives to describe her performance. Simon thinks she is better than the song and needs to make better song choices. She was fourth to take the stage and was really good.
- Amanda Overmeyer – She was third to go and I still can’t tell whether she is singing or screaming some of the time, but it sounded like a lot more of the former and less of the latter tonight. Randy and Paula “loved it.” Simon thought it was “fantastic.”
- Syesha Mercado – Was the last to go and since they were running out of time we got some short commentary by the judges. Maybe Paula should be limited to one-word critiques. Randy thought it was “good.” Paula thought it was “lovely.” Simon thought it was “predictable, but good.” When prompted by Ryan, they all thought it was good enough to make the top 12.
- Asia’h Epperson – Was first to take the stage and sang a Whitney Houston song. It was just okay overall, but sounded pretty good at times. Randy thought it was “hot.” Paula thought she “nailed it.” Simon thought it was “second rate Whitney.”
- Ramiele Malubay – Was the sixth singer tonight and she can really sing, but this was an odd and slow performance. Randy wants her to let it all loose. Paula really likes all the “textures” of her voice and then she rambled on for about a minute. Simon thought it was “old-fashioned” and “predictable.”
- Kady Malloy – Took the stage second and couldn’t hit the big notes. Randy thought it was “pretty good.” Paula thought it was her “best performance to date.” Simon thought it was “better than last week,” but that her singing is “robotic.”
- Kristy Lee Cook – Was fifth to sing and did a country version of a Journey song and for me, it just didn’t measure up. Randy “liked it.” Paula thinks it could be a hit. Simon thinks she is “forgettable.”
So, the TVaholic would send Kristy Lee Cook and Kady Malloy home after last night’s performances from the top 8 girls on Season 7 of American Idol. Was only right about Alexandrea Lushington last week, as I thought Kady Malloy was also going, but it looks like this will be the week for her instead.
How did you think the top 8 girls did last night? Who is your favorite? Who do you think will be going home? Leave your picks in the comments.