Tonight, the contestants are singing Mariah Carey songs. Contestants usually get in trouble when they choose a song made famous by a singer with a big voice, so it will be interesting to see what happens when they all have to do it. Randy wants to know who these contestants are as a singer.
How Did the Performances of the Top 7 on American Idol Season 7 Rank?
- David Cook – He is singing sixth and chose “Always Be My Baby.” That was an interesting take on the song and sounded really great. Randy thinks he is “ready to make an album” and gave him a standing ovation. Paula loved it. Simon thought it was a “breathe of fresh air” for the night and that he takes risks. Last week it didn’t work so much, but this week the risk totally paid off.
- David Archuleta – He is first up and is singing “When You Believe.” He has really come into his own and far from the forgetting lyrics and such. This was a really great performance. Randy told him that it “was the bomb baby.” Paula thinks Mariah would be very proud. Simon thought it set the “benchmark” for the night.
- Jason Castro – He is last to take the stage and is singing “I Don’t Want to Cry.” This was a good soft and understated performance. Randy thought it was “weird.” Paula thinks it was great. Simon agreed with Paula. Definitely agree with Simon that the guys won the night.
- Kristy Lee Cook – She is heading out on stage fifth and chose “Forever.” That was definitely her best. Randy thought she really “stepped up in the end.” Paula was “blown away.” Simon thought it was “whiny at times” and “wasn’t great.”
- Syesha Mercado – She is coming out on stage third and is singing “Vanishing.” She is doing pretty well for someone I thought would be going home last week. Might just be her best so far. Randy thought she “did a good job.” Paula thinks that it was a smart song choice and that it “was magical” for her. Simon thought it was “technically” good, but he thinks the song choice might not have been so good.
- Brooke White – She is the fourth singer of the night and went with “Hero.” She is playing the piano. I think she should be playing an instrument when she sings, as she seems to do a lot better than when she just sings. Randy thought it was good until the bridge, but that it was “pretty good.” Paula thinks she is “authentic.” Simon doesn’t thinks there was any meat to the performance.
- Carly Smithson – She is second to sing and is going with “Without You.” She is sounding all right, but it is not wowing me. Randy thinks the beginning was not quite right, but it got pretty good in the middle. Paula likes that she made it her own. Simon doesn’t think she pulled it off, but is quite capable of doing so.
Based solely on this week’s performances, I think Carly Smithson should be exiting the stage. She will be in the bottom three with Brooke White and Syesha Mercado. This is the same bottom three as I picked last week, which had two of them being correct. I think the person going home will be Carly Smithson.
What do you think? Who should go home after the Top 7 performed on American Idol Season 7? Who do you think will be going home?