News & Notes
On cable tonight, Animal Planet has the fourth season premiere of Meerkat Manor, Discovery Channel has the series premiere of Discovery Project Earth and TLC has the series premiere of Who Are You Wearing.
In late night, Comedy Central has the one-hour Jeffrey Ross: No Offense Live From New Jersey comedy special after a replay of the 90-minute Comedy Central Roast of Bob Saget.
In cancellation news, this will be the final season of Stargate Atlantis. Sci Fi didn’t cancel it, as it was cancelled by MGM Television, the company that produces the show. But, it looks like the adventures won’t stop, just move into the occasional movie, like they have done with Stargate SG-1. One is already scheduled to go into production after the series ends on what will be its 100th episode.
In new Stargate series news, it looks like a third iteration of the Stargate franchise will go into production in early 2009. It will be called Stargate Universe and will be mostly spaced based. So, what do you think about this news?
Summer Olympics 2008 (NBC): Day 15. Tonight’s events include track & field and diving. Coverage runs four hours.
NFL Football (CBS): Preseason. The Houston Texans are taking on the Dallas Cowboys in Dallas.
Joan of Arcadia (Sci Fi): Repeat. God asks Joan to try out for the cheerleading squad and has trouble explaining her new interest, in “Bringeth It On” from the first season.
Monk (USA): New. Monk might have found a new romantic interest when he develops a little crush on a murder suspect that confessed, but he doesn’t think she did it. Plays again tomorrow after Olympic coverage.
Psych (USA): New. A death on an oil rig brings the coast guard into play on a case, which causes Chief Vick to have to deal with her Coast Guard commander sister on the case. Read an interview with Chief Vick’s Kirsten Nelson. Plays again tomorrow after Olympic coverage.
- The Cleaner (A&E): Repeat. This past Tuesday’s episode, “Here Comes the Boom,” replays. Plays again later.
- Stargate Altantis (Sci Fi): New. Rodney becomes ill during a rescue mission on another planet. Last week’s episode, “The Ghost in the Machine,” replays right before. This episode plays again later.
- What Not to Wear (TLC): New. A court reporter gets sentenced to a new look and wardrobe by the fashion police.
- ESPN has NASCAR racing with the Nationwide Series: Food City 250.
- ESPN2 has Friday Night Fights with a featherweight bout scheduled for 10 rounds.
- Golf Channel has Champions Tour action with the first round of the Boeing Classic from the Jack Nicklaus designed TPC Snoqualmie Ridge in Snoqualmie, WA, which is about 25 minutes from me.
- NBC along with other various NBC Universal owned cable outlets will have Olympic coverage. Checkout NBCOlympics.com for listings of what events are playing when and where over the next three days.
Sci Fi has eight episodes of Kindred: The Embraced early.
Travel Channel has five hours of Food Paradise episodes.
USA has six episodes of Monk.
I’m sad about the news of Stargate Atlantis being cancelled. I’ve always liked this series, and have grown to love it.
However, I am looking forward to a two-hour movie for the SciFi Channel, and hopefully more movieS for both SG1 and SGA.
I’m cautiously optimistic about Stargate: Universe!
Best wishes, Morjana
I am a big SG1 fan, but SGA was dead on arrival. Fake G’ould, fake Teal’c, fake McGuyver, fake Daniel, fake Carter, overall a surprisingly literal and pale imitation of the original. Bad acting, terrible scripts, the Wraith are so lame they’ve had to reboot the concept several times just to get them up to mediocre. They’ve had to import actors from other, better shows (Firefly, Voyager, etc.) to try to salvage the program to no avail. Even SG lifer Amanda Tapping has jumped ship. I still like the SG setting, so I hope Universe fixes everything Atlantis broke.