News & Notes
Over on cable, BBC America has the 11th season finale of Top Gear, Discovery Channel has the series premiere of One Way Out, TNT has the fourth winter season premiere of The Closer and the series premiere of Trust Me, and VH1 has a Real Chance of Love reunion special.
The next episode of the TV times Three podcast is up and ready for your listening pleasure. You can listen to episode 14, “In Which Amrie Is Hilarious,”. We talked about a few news items, Clooney returning to ER, possible delay of digital TV switch and the talk of a Veronica Mars movie. Then we talked about what shows you can look forward to this February with our “Winter Preview, Part 2.” Lastly, we recapped the last week in primetime by talking about The L Word, United States of Tara, Fringe, Leverage, Lost, Lie to Me, and Burn Notice.
House (FOX): New. Cuddy delegates some of her hospital duties to Cameron, so she is now acting as House’s boss. A teacher that collapsed while spitting blood is brought in and the team takes the case.
24 (FOX): New. Dubaku is trying to get President Taylor to agree to his demands. Jack may have come up with an actual plan.
CSI: Miami (CBS): Repeat. This season’s premiere episode, “Resurrection,” replays, where the team is trying to figure out who shot Horatio Caine.
The Big Bang Theory (CBS): Repeat. In “The Euclid Alternative,” the gang tries to force Sheldon to learn how to drive. This episode has two great scenes involving Sheldon and Penny, plus a cool driving simulator.
How I Met Your Mother (CBS): Repeat. In “The Best Burger in New York,” the gang is searching for the best burger Marshall ever had and it turns out that Regis Philbin has been searching for the same place.
The Last Templar (NBC): Miniseries Part 2. This four-hour, two part miniseries starring Mira Sorvino (Covert One: The Hades Factor), as an archeologist, and Scott Foley (The Unit), as an FBI agent, trying to uncover secrets about the medieval Knights Templar. Runs two hours. Part 1 played last night.
The Secret Life of the American Teenager (ABC Family): New. Amy can learn the sex of the baby if she wishes. Jack may have seen Bob violate his parole. Plays again later twice.
The Closer (TNT): Winter PRemiere. The medical examiner won’t sign off on an apparent suicide, so the squad takes on the case. Meanwhile, Brenda is supposed to be looking at chapels to have the wedding. Plays again later. This is a very solid episode, as they always are when Brenda Leigh’s parents are in town.
Trust Me (TNT): Series Premiere. The series kicks off with our two main characters being called back from a photo shoot in LA to work on a new campaign before the company loses a big cell phone company as a client. Stars Will McCormack (Will & Grace) and Tom Cavanagh (Eli Stone, Ed) as Mason and Conner. Plays again later. This is a good, but not great, series opener. This first episode is not quite as dramatic or as comedic as you would expect. Yet, you can see the potential, some of which shows up more in next week’s episode. But, there is no question that Trust Me is better than anything else in this time period, on the networks or cable. I’m not just saying that because of the repeats and miniseries on tonight, but believe it to be the case even with a new CSI: Miami and the return of Medium next week and beyond. I look forward to hearing what you think about this new TNT offering.
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations (Travel Channel): New. Tony visits the “Azores.” Plays twice and again later.
- Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives (Food Network): New. Guy checks out some places that are “Just Like Yesterday.” A repeat episode follows. Both play again later.
- Good Eats (Food Network): New. Alton tries to get you to eat your brussels sprouts. Plays again later.
- Inside the Actors Studio (Bravo): New. Conan O’Brien (Late Night With Conan O’Brien) takes the hot seat for two hours. Plays again later.
- Kyle XY (ABC Family): New. Jessi has moved in with the Tragers, which causes some problems for Kyle. Lori dates Mark behind her dad’s back. Josh is wishing Andy wasn’t gone on vacation. Plays again late night tomorrow.
- Rita Rocks (Lifetime): New. Someone is trying to make someone love them. Plays again later.
- Will Work for Food (Food Network): New. Adam farms some giant clams and then tries to show some flair behind the bar. Plays again later.
- ESPN has doubleheader college basketball action with Marquette at Notre Dame followed by Oklahoma at Oklahoma State.
- ESPN2 has women’s college basketball action with Louisville at Connecticut followed by tennis coverage with quarterfinal action of the Australian Open.
- NBA TV has the Phoenix Suns at the Washington Wizards.
- Versus replays the NHL All-Star Game.
- Burn Notice (USA): Repeat. Last Thursday’s episode, “Do No Harm,” replays.
Bravo has eight episodes of Inside the Actors Studio.
Oxygen has 12 episodes of America’s Next Top Model.
Sci Fi has eight episodes of Stargate SG-1.
Spike has 12 hours of CSI: NY episodes.