News & Notes
Over on cable, Animal Planet has the second season finale of Escape to Chimp Eden, Comedy Central has the series premiere of Tosh.0, Oxygen has the 100th episode of Snapped, and USA has the third season premiere of Burn Notice and the series premiere of Royal Pains.
Note: Am changing things up as of today’s Tonight on the Tube. Will be combining network and cable picks into the Prime Picks and Solid Selections and dropping the separate Cable Choices section. Each of the first two sections will continue to be made up of the best bet for each hour of primetime, cause really, what is better than the return of Burn Notice tonight. It just makes more sense to do this, especially during the summer, when most of the good stuff is on cable and it looks strange for those shows not to show up in the Prime Picks section. Other Options will still be a combined listing of cable and network shows that play during primetime that may also be worth checking out.
The Big Bang Theory (CBS): Repeat. In “The Maternal Capacitance” from this past season, Christine Baranski (Cybil) guest stars as Leonard’s mother and we see how it is that he can put up with Sheldon.
The New Adventures of Old Christine (CBS): Repeat. In “The New Adventures of Old Christine” from season three, Old Christine allows New Christine to set her up on a date.
Burn Notice (USA): Season Premiere. This is by far the best option of the night. Things pick up right where they left off at the end of season two with Michael swimming back to the beach after jumping out of the helicopter. An old friend of Michael’s helps him out of a jam and hopes that he can return the favor. So, happy to have this one back, as it is the perfect summer series. I’ve seen the episode and it is great. Lots of action and sets the stage nicely for the direction this season will be heading now. Plays again later.
Royal Pains (USA): Series Premiere. A hotshot doctor has a bad day and ends up without a job or any prospects of working in his field. His brother comes to cheer him up after his life begins to fall apart. This looks like it could turn into a fun summer series, but has trouble conveying all the information you need to know in an interesting way. Runs 75 minutes. Plays again later. Read my full review.
NBA Finals (ABC): Game 1. It’s the Orlando Magic at the Los Angeles Lakers. The Magic have really surprised a lot of people and are looking to continue down that path. The Lakers are trying to get Phil Jackson his 10th championship ring and Kobe his first without Shaq. Tip-off is scheduled for just after
69:00 p.m. ET. There is a pre-game show and also a Jimmy Kimmel Live special that will play before or after depending on your time zone.
- American Chopper (TLC): New. The guys design a bike for Ducati, as well as Pilot Pens. Plays again later.
- Iron Chef America (Food Network): Repeat. Chef Sam Mason comes into Kitchen Stadium to challenge Iron Chef Morimoto. Plays again later.
- The Listener (NBC): Series Premiere. Two episodes play tonight. In the first, we are introduced to Toby. He has the ability to hear what people are thinking, sort of like Parkman on Heroes. He first solves a kidnapping and then tracks down an arsonist in the second episode. The prevailing wisdom on this one is that it isn’t very good, but I haven’t had a chance to see it myself, so can’t really say.
- So You Think You Can Dance (FOX): New. Find out who the Top 20 dancers are going to be.
- ABC has Game 1 of the NBA Finals with the Orlando Magic at the Los Angeles.
- Golf Channel has first round action from the Memorial Tournament.
- Versus has Game 4 of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals.
- In Plain Sight (USA): Repeat. This past Sunday’s episode, “One Night Stan,” replays.
Bravo has seven episodes of Project Runway.
Oxygen has 24 episodes of Snapped.
Sci Fi has 20 episodes of Land of the Lost.
USA has 12 episodes of Burn Notice from season two.