News & Notes
Over on cable, Discovery Channel has a Somali Pirate Takedown the Real Story special, Food Network has the series premiere of The Best Thing I Ever Ate, HGTV has the first season finale of HGTV’s $250,000 Challenge, Lifetime Movie Network has the TV movie premiere of Killer Hair, Science has a Exodus Earth special, Sci Fi has the TV movie premiere of Rise of the Gargoyles, and Spike has the Guys Choice 2009 awards special.
Food Network Challenge (Food Network): New. Four pastry chefs use candy to create a carnival scene. Plays again later.
The Next Food Network Star (Food Network): New. Tyler Florence sends the contestants to the store with $60 to make a meal for 12 and then it is “Dinner at Ina’s.” Plays again later. Last week’s episode plays before Food Network Challenge tonight. While last week’s episode gave us the departure of my least favorite contestant, I didn’t think he actually deserved to be sent home yet. What do you think of the competition so far?
In Plain Sight (USA): New. The nasty Agent O’Connor arrests Brandi for drug trafficking and murder. Mary tries to figure a way out of the problem. Plays again later. Last week’s episode replays earlier in the day.
Merlin (ABC): Series Premiere. We are introduced to young Merlin, Prince Arthur, and lady Guinevere. The show meanders back-and-forth between fun coming of age fantasy tale, ala Smallville, and cheesy Sci Fi Saturday Night Movie. It spends a little too much time as the latter and not enough as the former. On an NBC summer TV show scale it is better than The Listener, but not nearly as good as Kings. Another new episode follows.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (USA): New. Goren and Eames are up this week and are looking into “Family Values.” Plays again later. Last week’s episode replays earlier in the day.
Army Wives (Lifetime): New. Claudia Joy is looking for a place to live while Emmalin keeps acting out. Roland is confronted about how soldiers are cared for. Plays three times. Last week’s episode, “About Face,” replays right before.
- The Best Thing I Ever Ate (Food Network): Series Premiere. Food Network personalities talk about some of their favorite foods and places to eat, when they aren’t the ones doing the cooking. Plays again later. Episodes begin playing on their regular night beginning this Tuesday, June 23rd.
- Impact (ABC): Miniseries Premiere. A giant meteor hits the moon and knocks it off its normal orbit, which causes much havoc for the residents of Earth. Part one of two. Runs two hours. Part two play next Sunday, June 28th. This has a really good cast, but just comes off as too stupid. It has many things that I don’t like about disaster movies, like too many people worried about the little things during a huge crisis like has never been seen before. I haven’t got a chance to watch part two yet, but I’ve heard from my fellow TVtimesThree podcast partners that the resolution is pretty lame. So, can’t really recommend this, but it is another option.
- True Blood (HBO): New. Sookie must deal with Jessica and Bill’s obligations to her. Plays again later.
- ABC has IndyCar racing with the Iowa Corn Indy 250.
- ESPN has Sunday Night Baseball with the Los Angeles Dodgers at the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
- NBC has golf coverage of the U.S. Open, if it doesn’t rain.
- TBS has MLB action early with the Atlanta Braves at the Boston Red Sox.
- TNT has NASCAR racing action with the Sprint Cup: Toyota/SaveMart 350.
- Burn Notice (USA): Repeat. Last Thursday’s episode, “End Run,” replays.
- Rescue Me (FX): Repeat. Last Tuesday’s episode, “Mickey,” replays. Runs 61 minutes.
Animal Planet has six episodes of Untamed and Uncut early followed by five episodes of Lost Tapes.
Bravo has six episodes of The Real Housewives of New Jersey.
Discovery Channel has 10 episodes of MythBusters.
History has five episodes of Band of Brothers.
Oxygen has 12 episodes of America’s Next Top Model.
Sci Fi has eight episodes of Eureka.
Spike has seven episodes of Ultimate Knockouts.