News & Notes
On cable tonight, ABC Family has the second season premiere of The Secret Life of the American Teenager and the series premiere of Make It or Break It, Science has a Cheat Sheet: Mysteries of the Universe special and a Exodus Earth special, and VH1 has the second season finale of Gotti’s Way.
The Secret Life of the American Teenager (ABC Family): Season Premiere. Well, it’s “The Big One.” Plays again later twice. This show really brings in the audience and will probably continue to do so, even though it isn’t very good. There are some good performances from some of the teen characters, but the adults all come off very stilted and odd given the usually good actors that portray them. Nine episodes from season one replay leading up to tonight’s premiere.
The Closer (TNT): New. Sgt. Gabriel, played by Corey Reynolds, shoots a suspect he thought was armed and about to fire at him. Plays again next Monday. Last week’s season five premiere episode, “Blood Money,” replays right before. Read an interview with Reynolds over at Seat42f.com.
Weeds (Showtime): New. Nancy’s sister shows up and the bodyguard from Esteban watching her goes missing. Plays again later.
Nurse Jackie (Showtime): New. Jackie talks to Dr. O’Hara about her daughter’s anxiety and Eddie finds that he is going to be replaces by a machine. Plays again later.
Good Eats (Food Network): New. Alton is “Feeling Punchy” and then is feeling “Kinda Blue (Blueberry)” during a repeat that follows. Both play again later.
Make It or Break It (ABC Family): Series Premiere. A young gymnast tries to make the top three at a prestigious training facility, so she can compete at Nationals for a chance at the Olympic Team. One of the team doesn’t take kindly to the new girl and does whatever she can to freeze her out. Plays again late night tomorrow and Thursday night. Things go about as you’d expect from a show like this, as teen and sports drama clichés abound. Yet, it’s a good family friendly show that far surpasses the show that it follows.
Raising the Bar (TNT): New. Jerry gets into it with Judge Farnsworth and sets out to trip him up with his own rules. Plays again later.
- Army Wives (Lifetime): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “Moving Out,” replays. Plays again multiple times throughout the week and Sunday before the next new episode.
- Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives (Food Network): New. Guy checks out some “Old Time Favorites” and then a repeat episode about places serving food “Like Mama Made” follows. Both play again later.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS): Repeat. The hilarious “The Naked Man” episode from this past season replays.
- Unwrapped (Food Network): New. See how some of your favorite “Summertime Snacks” are made. A repeat episode about “Beach” inspired treats follows. Both play again later.
- ESPN should have coverage of the final round of the U.S. Open golf tournament coverage early and later Game 1 of the NCAA World Series Championship.
- ESPN2 has early round Wimbledon tennis coverage early and later Monday Night Baseball with the St. Louis Cardinals at the New York Mets.
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (USA): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “Family Values,” replays.
- Royal Pains (USA): Repeat. Last Thursday’s episode, “Strategic Planning,” replays.
A&E has 12 hours of CSI: Miami episodes.
ABC Family has nine episodes of The Secret Life of the American Teenager leading up to tonight’s season two premiere.
Bravo has six episodes of The Real Housewives of New Jersey.
Oxygen has 12 episodes of America’s Next Top Model.
Sci Fi has 11 episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures early.
Spike has 11 hours of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation episodes.
TLC has five hours of Jon & Kate Plus 8 episodes.
USA has 11 episodes of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit early.