News & Notes
On cable tonight, Comedy Central has the series premiere of Michael & Michael Have Issues, Discovery Channel has the second season premieres of Extreme Loggers and Verminators, and TNT has the second season premiere of Leverage and the series premiere of Dark Blue.
The New Adventures of Old Christine (CBS): Repeat. In “Notes on a 7th Grade Scandal” from this past season, Christine recognizes a former tormentor as a fellow parent at Ritchie’s school.
Gary Unmarried (CBS): Repeat. In the “Pilot” episode, we see how it all began.
Leverage (TNT): Season Premiere. Nate is a witness to an attempted murder. The team ends up back together and decides to take on the guy as a client. Plays again later. I really enjoyed this episode. There are a few interesting new character developments that should make things interesting going forward. At any rate, it’s by far the best thing on in this time slot on network or cable. I visited the set at the end of June and had planned on posting some interviews and photos leading up to tonight’s premiere, but have been fighting off a case of pneumonia over the last couple weeks and haven’t had the energy to do much more than the daily Tonight on the Tube post. I hope to get them posted soon.
Dark Blue (TNT): Series Premiere. An undercover FBI agent’s dead body is found dumped and a member of Carter Shaw’s elite covert team may have been part of it. Plays again later. I liked this episode and think this show has potential going forward. Dylan McDermott (The Practice) is in his element. This type of dark drama suits him. Others on the team are Omari Hardwick (Saved), Logan Marshall-Green (Traveler), and Nicki Aycox (Over There). In some respects it reminded me a bit of a former TNT show, Wanted.
So You Think You Can Dance (FOX): New. The Top 10 dancers compete. Runs two hours.
The Philanthropist (NBC): New. A rebel leader that doesn’t like Teddy’s activities in the village takes hostage a friend of Teddy’s. Philip decides to try his hand at charity. Three episodes all having someone relaying a story and then us seeing the story play out just doesn’t do it for me. So, I’m done with this show.
- Michael & Michael Have Issues (Comedy Central): Series Premiere. The Michaels are competing for the admiration of the intern. Plays again later.
- Throwdown With Bobby Flay (Food Network): New. Bobby competes in a “Fish Tacos” challenge and is followed by a “Puffy Taco” challenge replay. Both play again later.
- Tyler Perry’s Meet the Browns (TBS): New. Two new episodes follow two repeat episodes of House of Payne and they are followed by four more House of Payne repeat episodes.
- Versus has Stage 11 coverage of the Tour de France that replays multiple times throughout the day.
- 10 Things I Hate About You (ABC Family): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “I Want You to Want Me,” replays.
- In Plain Sight (USA): Repeat. This past Sunday night’s episode, “Jailbait,” replays.
- Royal Pains (USA): Repeat. Last Thursday’s episode, “No Man Is an Island,” replays.
- Warehouse 13 (USA): Repeat. The two-hour series premiere and last night’s episode, “Resonance,” both replay on Syfy’s sister cabler USA.
Bravo has five episodes of Top Chef.
Discovery Channel has five episodes of Overhaulin’ early.
Oxygen has 20 episodes of Roseanne.
Syfy has 16 episodes of Tales From the Darkside.
USA has 17 episodes of NCIS.