News & Notes
Over on cable, HBO has the seventh season premiere of Curb Your Enthusiasm and the series premiere of Bored to Death, HGTV has an HGTV Design Star special, History has a Holy Grail in America special, Syfy has the TV movie premiere of Clive Barker’s Book of Blood, and WE has a Wedding Cake Wars.
Premiering next Sunday, ABC has Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters, CBS has The Amazing Race and Cold Case, and FOX has The Simpsons, The Cleveland Show, Family Guy and American Dad.
The 61st Primetime Emmy Awards (CBS): Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother) hosts the awards special that honors excellence in TV. Runs three hours. Couldn’t care less, but may watch the opening just to see what NPH does. Then flip over to something else, like the suggestions that follow.
Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime): New. Jane is taking on a matchmaking service that looks to be defrauding their customers. Plays again later two times.
Mad Men (AMC): New. Joan gets some news she wasn’t expecting. Sally gets spooked and a visit surprises. Runs 62 minutes. Plays twice and again later.
The Simpsons (FOX): Repeats. The “Waverly Hills, 9021-D’Oh” and “Coming to Homerica” episodes from last season replay.
Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO): Season Premiere. Larry goes for the pre-emptive break-up. Larry and Jeff attempt not to do any empty gestures. Plays again later.
Bored to Death (HBO): Series Premiere. A struggling writer puts an ad online to be an unlicensed detective after his girlfriend moves out. Plays again later. It stars Jason Schwartzman, Ted Danson, and Zach Galifianakis, but I didn’t laugh once. I may watch another episode because of the cast, but that’ll be it, if it doesn’t severely crank up the funny.
Entourage (HBO): New. Drama is going after a new part. Ashley wants to read Eric’s emails. Turtle is starting to feel guilty. Plays after a replay of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which follows Bored to Death. Plays again later.
- Army Wives (Lifetime): New. Pamela and Roxy meet a couple of older army wives at a nursing home and learn about Fort Marshall’s past. Plays again later.
- ABC has NASCAR racing with the Sprint Cup: Sylvania 300.
- CBS has NFL action followed.
- ESPN has Sunday Night Baseball with the Chicago Cubs at the St. Louis Cardinals.
- ESPN2 has WNBA playoff games.
- FOX has NFL action.
- NBC has Sunday Night Football with the New York Giants at the Dallas Cowboys.
- TBS has MLB action early with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at the Texas Rangers.
- Breaking Bad (AMC): Repeat. The season two episode, “Peekaboo,” replays.
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX): Repeat. The fifth season premiere episode, “The Gang Exploits the Mortgage Crisis,” replays.
- Sons of Anarchy (FX): Repeat. Last Tuesday’s episode, “Small Tears,” replays. Runs 62 minutes.
Spike has the original Star Wars trilogy today, with the first two playing again late tonight.
Travel Channel has seven episodes of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.
truTV has seven episodes of World’s Wildest Police Videos.
USA has 13 episodes of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.