News & Notes
Tonight, ABC has the seventh season premiere of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, the sixth season premiere of Desperate Housewives and the fourth season premiere of Brothers & Sisters, CBS has the 42nd season premiere of 60 Minutes, the 15th season premiere of The Amazing Race and the seventh season premiere of Cold Case, and FOX has the 21st season premiere of The Simpsons, the series premiere of The Cleveland Show, the eighth season premiere of Family Guy and the fifth season premiere of American Dad.
Over on cable, History has the first season finale of Pawn Stars, MTV has the fourth season finale of Randy Jackson Presents: America’s Best Dance Crew, Showtime has the fourth season premiere of Dexter and the third season premiere of Californication, and WE has the second season premiere of My Fair Wedding.
Premiering next Sunday, CBS has Three Rivers and Food Network has The Next Iron Chef.
The Simpsons (FOX): Season Premiere. Homer gets cast as the lead in a superhero movie. Runs 30 minutes.
Dexter (Showtime): Season Premiere. Dexter finds himself sleep deprived due to his baby son and being a father to three. He begins making some mistakes. Debra is surprised the return of Lundy on the trail of another serial killer. Plays again later. I really liked this episode and the new setting Dexter finds himself having to deal with, plus the edition of another serial killer in the area. Michael C. Hall continues to be amazing in this role and they give you some interesting surprises and developments to set the new season.
Mad Men (AMC): New. Betty gets into politics. Don is contemplating his future. Peggy gets a really nice gift. Runs 62 minutes. Plays twice and again later.
Food Network Challenge (Food Network): New. After a four-day cruise in the Bahamas, four pastry chefs must build cakes that represent fun and relaxation. Plays again later.
Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime): New. Jane is representing a woman that believes she was switched at birth. Parker is dealing with being in a courtroom after a long absence. Plays again later two times.
Brothers & Sisters (ABC): New. Kitty has a shocking secret. Holly and Nora are trying to plan an engagement party. Sarah is looking for new business prospects. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes.
- Army Wives (Lifetime): New. Jeremy has returned home. Joan has to leave for her tour. Pamela catches Chase in a lie. Plays again later.
- Bored to Death (HBO): New. A woman that wants to know if her boyfriend is cheating on her hires Jonathan. Plays again later. Giving this show a second shot, even though the premiere was terribly unfunny.
- Californication (Showtime): Season Premiere. Hank is trying to deal with life as a single father. Plays twice. The guest cast in this and future episodes is pretty phenomenal. The episode itself is pretty much what you’d expect. It sets the path for the new season and gives you a few of those out there moments.
- Cold Case (CBS): Season Premiere. The team takes on a case of a murder on ship in 1966. The guy who ran Det. Rush off the road is on trial. This is a very good episode that both tells an interesting story and sets the stage for the new season for Det. Rush.
- Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO): New. Larry is trying to annoy Lorreta on purpose. Larry finds a way to profit from Leon’s indiscretion. Plays again later.
- Desperate Housewives (ABC): New. Find out whom Mike married. Carlos’ niece turns out to be more than Gabby can handle. A new family comes to Wisteria Lane. Runs 61 minutes.
- Entourage (HBO): New. Ari is offered Terrence’s stake in the agency. Drama’s emotions continue to get the better of him. Plays after a replay of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which follows Bored to Death. Plays again later.
- Iron Chef America (Food Network): New. Three students from the International Culinary Schools challenge Iron Chef Michael Symon and two protégés. Plays again later.
- ABC has NASCAR racing with the Sprint Cup: AAA 400.
- CBS has NFL action followed.
- ESPN has Sunday Night Baseball with the Boston Red Sox at the New York Yankees. These two teams also play earlier today.
- ESPN2 has WNBA playoff games.
- FOX has NFL action.
- NBC has final round coverage of The Tour Championship golf tournament and later Sunday Night Football with the Indianapolis Colts at the Arizona Cardinals.
- TBS has MLB action early with the St. Louis Cardinals at the Colorado Rockies.
- Breaking Bad (AMC): Repeat. The season two episode, “Negro Y Azul,” replays.
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX): Repeat. Last Thursday’s episode, “The Gang Hits the Road,” replays.
- Sons of Anarchy (FX): Repeat. Last Tuesday’s episode, “Fix,” replays. Runs 62 minutes.
AMC has the first six episodes of this season of Mad Men.
History has 14 episodes of Pawn Stars.
MTV has eight episodes of Randy Jackson Presents: America’s Best Dance Crew.
Oxygen has 12 episodes of America’s Next Top Model.
Spike has 11 hours of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation episodes.
TLC has nine episodes of 48 Hours: Hard Evidence.
truTV has six episodes of Black Gold.