News & Notes
Over on cable, Cartoon Network has the series premieres of Ben 10: Ultimate Alien and Generator Rex, CMT has a Smokejumpers special, Discovery Channel has the second season premiere of Swamp Loggers and the first season finale of American Loggers, ID has the first season finale of Main Street Mysteries, Starz has the second season premiere of Party Down and the series premiere of Gravity, Sundance has the second season premiere of Chandon Pictures, and TLC has the fifth season premiere of Say Yes to the Dress.
Smallville (The CW): New. Lois is threatened by former DA Raymond Sacks after his release from prison. Chloe learns what Zod’s secret is.
Stargate Universe (Syfy): New. Dr. Rush decides to link himself to the Destiny in hopes of learning its secrets. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “Faith,” replays right before.
Party Down (Starz): Season Premiere. The second season opens with Henry having trouble being the team leader, as he deals with Casey’s return, a rock star that wants a break from his life, and well, everything else. Runs 30 minutes. Megan Mullally (Will & Grace) joins the cast, a fact that I was a little worried about going into the new season, as she tends to go too big. Yet, she was great in this episode. I really liked the first season, but wasn’t one that thought that it always worked and was one of the best comedies out there. Yet, when this show is on, it can be. This episode is an example of when it is on. There are just so many funny moments and it worked well at bringing everyone back together, even though the return of Ron Donald felt a little bit forced.
Gravity (Starz): Series Premiere. The story revolves around a support group for people that have attempted suicide. Runs 35 minutes. It stars Ivan Sergei (Crossing Jordan), Krysten Ritter (Breaking Bad), Rachel Hunter, and Ving Rhames (Kojak). This is a very odd show, given the subject matter and its attempts at humor. Also, cause it starts out with the most bizarre, poorly shot and unrealistic opening scene. I really like the cast and in some respects, it’s an interesting area to delve into. I’m just not sure whether this is the format to do it with. A side story involving a detective just seemed too strange and unneeded. I will give it a couple more episodes to see where it goes, but my first impression is that I probably won’t be keeping up with this one. If you do check it out, I would like to hear your thoughts.
House (FOX): Repeat. The “Black Hole” episode from earlier this season replays, where a student suffering from hallucinations is worked on and Wilson is trying to furnish his new place.
Glee (FOX): Repeat. In “The Power of Madonna” episode from this past Tuesday, Mr. Shuester sees the girls are being mistreated and assigns the group to sing Madonna songs.
Merlin (Syfy): New. Arthur has a rival in getting Gwen back after she gets abducted. Plays again later.
- Miami Medical (CBS): New. An injured woman refuses to be treated. A patient carrying a large sum of money is brought in to the hospital.
- ESPN has coverage of the second and third rounds of the NFL Draft followed doubleheader NBA Playoffs action with Game 3 of the Boston Celtics at the Miami Heat followed by Game 3 of the Dallas Mavericks at the San Antonio Spurs.
- ESPN2 has coverage of the second and third rounds of the NFL Draft followed NBA Playoffs action with Game 3 of the Denver Nuggets at the Utah Jazz.
- NBA TV has a doubleheader with the Detroit Pistons at the Miami Heat followed by the Dallas Mavericks at the Portland Trail Blazers.
- Versus has lots of NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs action.
- Breaking Bad (AMC): Repeat. This past Sunday’s episode, “Mas,” replays following a replay of the season thus far.
- Justified (FX): Repeat. This past Tuesday’s episode, “The Collection,” replays.
AMC has five season two episodes of Breaking Bad tonight.
Discovery Channel has seven episodes of Lobstermen early.
Spike TV has 12 hours of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation episodes.
Syfy has three-part, six-hour Tin Man miniseries.
TLC has 14 episodes of Say Yes to the Dress.