Tonight on the Tube: The Closer & The Big C
News & Notes
On cable tonight, Animal Planet has an Animal Planet Investigates: Gang Dogs special, Showtime has the sixth season premiere of Weeds and the series premiere of The Big C, TLC has an Extreme Food Sculptors special, and truTV has the series premiere of Hard Core Pawn.
Tomorrow is the last day to enter our Covert Affairs prize pack giveaway that includes a t-shirt, hat, spy book and more.
House (FOX): Repeat. The “Teamwork” episode from last season replays, where House retakes the head of diagnostics position at Princeton Plainsboro.
The Closer (TNT): New. The team is investigating the murder of a parole board member. Pope has a plan to raise the profile of the department. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “Heart Attack,” replays right before.
Rizzoli & Isles (TNT): New. Jane and Maura are looking into what looks like a hate crime. Maura decides to try and set Jane up on a date. Plays again later. What do you think of the accents, or lack there of, of the actors/characters on this show?
- The Best Thing I Ever Ate (Food Network): New. Food Network personalities talk about the best thing “With Fruit” they’ve eaten. A repeat episode follows. Both play again later.
- The Big C (Showtime): Series Premiere. A Minneapolis high school teacher is diagnosed with terminal cancer and sets out to make the last year of her life mean something. Plays again later. Review: The Big C is not a new concept by any means. We have all seen shows where something happens, in this case a cancer diagnosis, to a character that snaps them out of their routines and sets them on a different path. Yet, great storytelling is not about being original. But, if you are telling a story we’ve heard before, you better be a great storyteller. In the case of a TV show, while you have people that write the scripts, the cast is actually telling you the story. So, you better have a great one, as is the case here with Laura Linney (John Adams, Oliver Platt (Huff), Reid Scott (My Boys, and Gabourey Sidibe (Precious). Linney is absolutely fantastic in the role. Platt is basically playing the character he always plays, but he does it so well you don’t care. It was weird seeing Scott as her doctor, even if he plays one on The Secret Life of the American Teenager, since it is such a departure from his slacker character on one of my favorite shows My Boys, but the doctor and patient relationship was one of the best parts of the first episode. This is not original TV, but it is pretty darn close to being outstanding TV.
- Big Break Sandals Resorts (Golf Channel): New. ???. Replays multiple times throughout the week.
- Lie to Me (FOX): New. Lightman thinks that maybe a man he helped send to prison 17 years ago, who was recently executed, may have been innocent.
- Unwrapped (Food Network): New. Get a look at how some of our favorite “Midnight Munchies” are made. Follows a repeat episode. Both play again later.
- Weeds (Showtime): Season Premiere. Nancy and her sons are on the run from the Mexican mob after the events of the end of last season. Plays again later.
- ESPN has preseason Monday Night Football.
- Covert Affairs (USA): Repeat. Last Tuesday’s episode, “In the Light,” replays.
- Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “Will & Grayson,” replays.
- Mad Men (AMC): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “The Rejected,” replays.
- Psych (USA): Repeat. Last Wednesday’s episode, “Shawn & Gus in Drag (Racing),” replays.
- White Collar (USA): Repeat. Last Tuesday’s episode, “Unfinished Business,” replays.
Bravo has seven episodes of The Real Housewives of …
Nickelodeon has 14 episodes of The Nanny in late night.
Spike TV has five episodes of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
Syfy has seven episodes of Jericho early.
USA has 10 episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent.
WE has 10 episodes of The Golden Girls.