News & Notes
On cable tonight, HBO has the series premiere of Game of Thrones, History has the series premiere of Inspector America, ID has the fourth season premiere of On the Case With Paula Zahn, Nickelodeon has a Freedom to Believe… or Not special, truTV has the series premiere of Police POV, TV Land has the 2011 TV Land Awards, USA Network has the TV movie premiere of Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe, and VH1 has the series premieres of Mob Wives, Audrina and Saddle Ranch.
America’s Next Great Restaurant (NBC): New. The contestants must all create a kid friendly dish and work with a product development company to design a toy to go with it.
Game of Thrones (HBO): Series Premiere. This 10-part series is based on George R.R. Martin’s fantasy novel of the same name that is part of the A Song of Ice and Fire series. It is set in the mythical Seven Kingdoms of Westeros. This first episode has King Robert Baratheon traveling to Winterfell to plead with his lifelong friend, Lord Eddard “Ned” Stark, to join him and lots of other stuff. Runs 65 minutes. I could not be more excited for something I know nothing about. Until a couple of months ago, I didn’t even know this book series existed. Yet, the buzz on my Twitter feed has continued to grow. For the most part I’ve stayed away from finding out anything about the series and wasn’t lucky enough to be able to screen it ahead of time, so will be coming at it from someone who is completely uninitiated in all things Westeros. But, from the little I’ve gleaned, it sounds like an excellent idea for a series. I did watch the 15-minute preview and the look of the series is fantastic. Are you excited for the show? Have you read the books?
The Killing (AMC): New. Sarah and Holder are putting the pressure on Rosie’s former boyfriend. Stan and Mitch begin funeral planning for their daughter. Richmond is looking to raise some funds for his campaign. Plays twice and again later. Last week’s episode, “El Diablo,” replays right before.
Challenge (Food Network): New. Competitors must build famous inventions out of sugar. Plays again later.
Desperate Housewives (ABC): New. Bree attempts to keep Andrew from confessing to Carlos. Felicia is back in the neighborhood and apparently wants a truce with Paul. Runs 61 minutes.
Brothers & Sisters (ABC): New. Luc and Sarah are considering a family expansion. Nora finally lets Brody know her feelings for him. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes.
- Army Wives (Lifetime): New. Claudia Joy and Chandler attempt to help an Army wife keep from being deported. Roxy figures out how they can move forward with the truck stop. Denise comes down with the flu and Joan and Roland offer to watch Molly until she gets better. Plays again later two times. Last week’s episode, “Walking Wounded,” replays right before.
- Breakout Kings (A&E): New. A young couple is on a rampage after an escape. Plays twice and again later twice. Four previous episodes replay earlier in the day.
- Burn Notice: The Fall of Sam Axe (USA Network): TV Movie Premiere. Flashback to 2005 and see how Commander Sam Axe of the Navy Seals ended up in Miami after a mission in Columbia goes wrong. Runs two hours. Plays twice. I’ve have been looking forward to this ever since they announced it last summer at Comic Con in San Diego. Seemed like a really good idea, but didn’t turn out to be one. I was not expecting it to be so cheesy, like a bad retro actioner. I mean, I liked stuff like The A-Team back in the 80s, but if you watch them now, they don’t hold up very well. You could pull the action sequences in this right out of an old 80s show like that. Plus, the story is just silly. There are a few fun things in it for fans of Burn Notice, but overall I was highly disappointed. There is a 12 episode Burn Notice marathon today that leads up to this movie.
- Iron Chef America (Food Network): New. Chef Vitaly Paley challenges Iron Garces. Plays again later.
- Last Cake Standing (Food Network): New. The six remaining contestants must make cakes depicting the Fantastic Four in action. Plays again later.
- ABC has the second NBA playoff game of the day with the New Orleans Hornets at the Los Angeles Lakers.
- ESPN has Sunday Night Baseball MLB action with the Texas Rangers at the New York Yankees.
- FOX has NASCAR racing action with the Sprint Cup: Aaron’s 499.
- NBC has NHL playoff action.
- TBS has MLB action with the Toronto Blue Jays at the Boston Red Sox.
- TNT has the first NBA playoff game of the day with the Memphis Grizzlies at the San Antonio Spurs and then later the third game with the New York Knicks at the Boston Celtics and the fourth game with the Denver Nuggets at the team that shall not be named.
A&E has 10 episodes of Storage Wars tonight.
Bravo has 15 episodes of The Real Housewives of…
Oxygen has 13 episodes of Snapped.
USA has 12 episodes of Burn Notice.