News & Notes
On cable tonight, ABC Family has the third season finale of The Secret Life of the American Teenager and the series premiere of Switched at Birth, Discovery Channel has the second season finale of American Chopper: Senior vs. Junior, HBO has the documentary premiere of Bobby Fischer Against the World, HGTV has the series premieres of My Yard Goes Disney, House Hunters on Vacation and HGTV’d, History has a Gettysburg special, Lifetime has the TV movie premiere of Last Man Standing, and USA Network has the fifth season finale of WWE Tough Enough.
Check out the latest TV times Three Podcast: Ep.101, “Summer TV Preview 2011.” This week @anthonyocasio of @screenrant joined Amrie and I to discus all the new and returning shows coming this summer and what looks good and what doesn’t. Plus, we talked about the season finales of House, Cougar Town and Happy Endings along with some TV on DVD picks.
MasterChef (FOX): Season Premiere. A new group of hopefuls cook up dishes in an attempt to impress the judges.
Switched at Birth (ABC Family): Series Premiere. Two teen girls and their families find out that they were switched at birth. Plays twice. This is a solid family drama that comes at the genre from an interesting angle. Yet, they take this interesting story idea and introduce it in just about the way you’d expect, right down to the love interests and family dynamics. Some of it is just a little to perfect in the aspects that each daughter shares with their biological mothers. But, after next week everything is put in place for what looks to be a good show, well it’s a 1000 times better than the show it will follow each Monday night, that’s worth watching this summer.
Nurse Jackie (Showtime): New. Grace wants to be put on medication. Jackie gets put on probation. Plays again later.
The United States of Tara (Showtime): New. Max and Marshall are back from their trip. Tara is trying to hide her new alter. Neil finds work in Texas. Plays again later.
- The Best Thing I Ever Ate (Food Network): New. Food Network personalities talk about the dish that another restaurant cooks “Better Than Mine.” Plays again later.
- Last Man Standing (Lifetime): TV Movie Premiere. Catherine Bell (Army Wives, JAG) stars in this suspense thriller about a suburban housewife that uses her military training to rescue her husband after he is abducted. Runs two hours. Plays again Saturday. Everything plays out just as you’d expect, but at least you get to see Bell kick a little ass.
- Sanctuary (Syfy): New. The team is looking into some strange occurrences in the Normandy region of France. Plays again later.
- Teen Wolf (MTV): New. Scott is finding it hard to balance his new abilities with being a teenager. The series premiere episode from last night replays right before. Both play again later.
- ESPN has MLB action with the Los Angeles Dodgers at the Philadelphia Phillies.
- ESPN2 has Game 1 of the Women’s Softball: College World Series Finals.
- Versus has Game 3 of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals with the Vancouver Canucks at the Boston Bruins.
- The Glades (A&E): Repeat. Last night’s season two premiere episode, “Family Matters,” replays.
- Men of a Certain Age (TNT): Repeat. Last Wednesday’s episode, “The Great Escape,” replays.
ABC Family has 10 episodes of The Secret Life of the American Teenager.
Bravo has nine episodes of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills early.
Discovery Channel has nine episodes of American Chopper: Senior vs. Junior.
History has 16 episodes of American Pickers.
Oxygen has 11 episodes of Roseanne and later five episodes of Love Games: Bad Girls Need Love Too.
Syfy has eight episodes of The Twilight Zone early.
TNT has six episodes of Law & Order tonight.
USA Network has nine episodes of White Collar early.
WE has seven episodes of Amazing Wedding Cakes early and later 10 episodes of The Golden Girls tonight.