News & Notes
On cable tonight, A&E has the sixth season premiere of Gene Simmons Family Jewels, ABC Family has the second season premiere of Pretty Little Liars and the series premiere of The Nine Lives of Chloe King, Comedy Central has the series premiere of Jon Benjamin Has a Van, Food Network has the third season premiere of Cupcake Wars, HGTV has the fifth season premiere of Real Estate Intervention, TLC has the first season finale of Spouse vs. House, TNT has the second season premiere of Memphis Beat and the third season premiere of HawthoRNe, and WE tv has the first season finale of Braxton Family Values.
Today is the last day to enter our The Glades S.1 DVD giveaway.
Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family): Season Premiere. The girls are forced into going to group therapy. Plays again next week before the next new episode. The last nine episodes of season one replay leading up to tonight’s second season premiere. The new season starts off right where we left off at the end of last season. There are two things I like about this show. One, they move along story-wise in a similar fashion to The Vampire Diaries and two, they do a superb job of keeping up the creepiness factor. This episode provides both.
White Collar (USA Network): New. Neal and Peter have to use a treasure map to help save a kidnapped girl. Plays again later.
Covert Affairs (USA Network): New. Annie is sent over to Paris to work on a new asset. Plays again later.
- Raising Hope (FOX): Repeats. The “What Up, Cuz?” episode with guest star Amy Sedaris and the “Dead Tooth” episode both replay.
- The Nine Lives of Chloe King (ABC Family): Series Premiere. A high school girl starts to realize she is developing special abilities. Plays twice. This looks like it will be a fun summer series and pairs nicely with Pretty Little Liars. I like the lead, Skyler Samuels (The Gates), in that she is good in the role and is actually a teenager playing a teenager. The premise would have been better served by a two-hour premiere that lays out more of what is going on for the viewer. But, having seen next week’s episode too, it is not the second hour I was looking for. One of the things this show does, like MTV’s Teen Wolf, that bothers me is how they deal with the onset of new powers. If I found out that I had certain abilities that could either hurt somebody else or made it so someone wanted to hurt me, I’d want to know everything I could about them and right now. Especially, if there was somebody around that could help me with this. In the case of Chloe King>/em>, given what happens to her in this episode, it just makes no sense to me that this would take place and continue on next week. Even with that complaint, and I could go on, I still very much enjoyed it. On a completely different note, did you realize that Caroline in the City stars Lea Thompson (Switched at Birth) and Amy Pietz, who plays Chloe’s mom, are both playing mothers on ABC Family shows? I feel old.
- Teen Wolf (MTV): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “Pack Mentality,” replays. The previous episode replays right before.
- Tosh.0 (Comedy Central): New. A Web Redemption involving cheerleading and the butter challenge. Plays again later.
- ESPN2 has a WNBA game.
- MLB Network has doubleheader action tonight.
- Franklin & Bash (TNT): Repeat. Last Wednesday’s episode, “She Came Upstairs to Kill Me,” replays.
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (USA Network): Repeat. This past Sunday’s episode, “Cadaver,” replays.
- Teen Wolf (MTV2): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “Pack Mentality,” replays.
A&E has Gene Simmons Family Jewels episodes most of the day.
ABC Family has 10 episodes of Pretty Little Liars.
BET has 10 episodes of Everybody Hates Chris.
Bravo has five episodes of Million Dollar Listing early.
History has five episodes of Only in America With Larry the Cable Guy tonight.
Oxygen has 11 episodes of Roseanne.
Spike TV has eight episodes of 1000 Ways to Die.
Syfy has nine episodes of Ghost Whisperer.
TNT has five episodes of Law & Order tonight.
Travel Channel has six episodes of Bizarre Foods With Andrew Zimmern tonight.
USA has eight episodes of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
WE tv has 11 episodes of Braxton Family Values.