News & Notes
Tonight, ABC has the series premiere of Expedition Impossible and the second season premiere of Rookie Blue.
Over on cable, Comedy Central has the sixth summer season premiere of Futurama, Food Network has the second season finale of 24 Hour Restaurant Battle, FX has the series premiere of Wilfred and the second season premiere of Louie, truTV has the second season finale of It Only Hurts When I Laugh, and USA Network has the fifth season premiere of Burn Notice and the series premiere of Suits.
Check out the latest TV times Three Podcast: Ep.102, “The Covert Collar Killing & the Switched Skies.” This week @raelee, @mytakeontv and I discussed all the series premieres and subsequent episodes of Switched at Birth, Franklin & Bash, Falling Skies and The Protector, the season premieres of White Collar, Covert Affairs and The Glades, and the first season finale of The Killing.
Community (NBC): Repeat. The “Cooperative Calligraphy” episode from this past season replays, where Annie makes everyone stay after her pen goes missing.
30 Rock (NBC): Repeat. The “College” episode from this past season replays, where Jack is attempting to find problems with the newest microwave designs.
Burn Notice (USA Network): Season Premiere. Michael is after the person who burned him. Plays again later. While I very much liked this episode for the action and adventure it both starts and ends weirdly for me. The beginning of the episode basically recaps a bunch of missions that went down since the end of last season to setup one last mission to get the person at the top and the one that is supposed to have the answers to why Michael was burned. Then it ends with a, well I don’t want to ruin the ending for you. A 15 episode marathon leads up to tonight’s fifth season premiere episode.
Suits (USA Network): Series Premiere. A lawyer from a big firm ends up recruiting a genius lawyer that has no degree. Runs 82 minutes. Plays again later. I really liked this new series, but I’m partially to shows that revolve around a really smart character that uses their ability in an interesting and fun way. That is what we have here, plus the extended premiere episode works really well. There have been a couple of new series already this summer that I wish would’ve done the same. You get a much fuller introduction to the characters and the setting. If you like White Collar then you’ll likely like this one as well. I look forward to seeing more.
- Louie (FX): Season Premiere. Louie’s pregnant sister arrives for a surprise visit and problem arise. Runs 31 minutes. Plays again later two times. This show can be hit or miss for me and this one falls into the hit column. Yet, while Louis C.K. is very funny in his observations, he can go a bit too far and become unfunny quickly.
- Love Bites (NBC): New. Judd and Colleen almost miss a family event after indulging in some treats from the medical marijuana store. The parents of a teen try to give him advice about prom. An astronaut thinks his girlfriend may be cheating on him. I believe this week’s guest star is @EddieMcClintock (Warehouse 13).
- Rookie Blue (ABC): Season Premiere. Andy and a new detective don’t get along during an investigation into a shooting. This show is just as bad as it was last season.
- Wilfred (FX): Series Premiere. Ryan attempts to kill himself, but fails and then ends up starting a weird relationship with his neighbor’s dog. Runs 33 minutes. Plays again later two times. If you find other FX comedies funny, you may like this one, but I don’t and didn’t.
- ESPN has the NBA Draft.
- MLB Network has a morning and an evening game.
- Covert Affairs (USA Network): Repeat. This past Tuesday’s episode, “Bang and Blame,” replays.
- Franklin & Bash (TNT): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “Bro-Bono,” replays.
- The Killing (AMC): Repeat. This past Sunday’s first season finale episode, “Orpheus Descending,” replays. Plays again later.
Bravo has 10 episodes of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.
Oxygen has 10 episodes of Snapped tonight.
Spike TV has nine episodes of Jail.
Syfy has seven episodes of The Twilight Zone early.
TNT has seven episodes of Bones tonight.
USA has 16 episodes of Burn Notice.