News & Notes
On cable tonight, Bravo has a new Inside the Actors Studio: Jennifer Aniston, Cartoon Network has the third season premiere of Adventure Time With Finn and Jake, Discovery Channel has the seventh premiere of Man vs. Wild and the second season premiere of Surviving the Cut, HBO has the documentary premiere of Love Crimes of Kabul, HGTV has the sixth season premiere of HGTV Design Star, Nat Geo Wild has the series premiere of Deadly 60, Syfy has the fourth summer season premiere of Eureka, the third season premiere of Warehouse 13 and the series premiere of Alphas, TLC has the series premiere of Surprise Homecoming, TNT has the seventh, and final, season premiere of The Closer and the second season premiere of Rizzoli & Isles, and Travel Channel has the seventh summer season premiere of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and a Dance the World special.
Eureka (Syfy): Summer Premiere. Fargo and Zane end up in a precarious position, which leads to quite the rescue effort. Plays again later. So happy to have this show back on my television, as season four resumes. The episode is out of this world fun and brings forth all the elements we love about this show. But, things only get better from here as they continue to deal with the ramifications of the changes from the time jump. Next week’s episode instantly became one of my favorites.
The Closer (TNT): Season Premiere. Brenda and her squad investigate the shooting of a rap artist and his entourage. Chief Delk is about to announce the new organizational structure at the LAPD. Brenda becomes the target of a civil suit. Plays again later. Another show I am happy to have back, as it remains one of the best shows on television. This show has always had great opening sequences, but tonight’s is fantastic and incorporates so much into the solving of the case. So much happens in this episode besides the case to setup the story for the shows final season.
Alphas (Syfy): Series Premiere. A secret team with special abilities is brought in to investigate the shooting death of a man being questioned in a room with no windows and the detectives in the room have been cleared. Runs 90 minutes. Plays twice. I liked this show, but it didn’t grab me like I was hoping. The show is like a mix of Heroes and Rubicon, which makes for a slow developing mix special ability action and procedural investigation by a secret group. I am intrigued to see more, as there are some interesting overarching elements set up.
- Rizzoli & Isles (TNT): Season Premiere. Jane gets honored at an event that turns deadly. Plays again later. This show just doesn’t do it for me, like I want it to. Especially, given the show it follows. It is highly polished and full of actors/actresses I like, but the writing just isn’t up to snuff. Dialogue and situations are weak and have not improved over the first season.
- Switched at Birth (ABC Family): New. Daphne starts at Buckner and is having some trouble adjusting. Plays again next Monday evening. Last week’s episode, “Dogs Playing Poker,” replays earlier in the evening.
- Teen Wolf (MTV): New. Scott and a group of friends get trapped in the school at night. Plays twice and again later. Last week’s episode, “Heart Monitor,” replays earlier in the day.
- Warehouse 13 (Syfy): Season Premiere. Pete gets a new partner, played by Aaron Ashmore (Smallville). Plays again later. Love this show. They do a really good job of answering the cliffhanger from last season and Ashmore makes a good addition. I am very interested to see how they work his character into the show going forward.
- Weeds (Showtime): New. Nancy is having trouble getting used to the halfway house. Andy and Shane find a place. Doug gets offered his dream job. Plays again later.
- ESPN has the 2011 Home Run Derby.
- Versus has the midway Tour de France: Recap.
- Falling Skies (TNT): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “Silent Kill,” replays.
- Men of a Certain Age (TNT): Repeat. Last Wednesday’s second season finale episode, “Hold Your Finish,” replays.
- Suits (USA Network): Repeat. Last Thursday’s episode, “Inside Track,” replays.
Bravo has five episodes of Tabatha’s Salon Takeover followed by nine episodes of Millionaire Matchmaker.
Oxygen has nine episodes of Supernanny.
TNT has 10 episodes of The Closer.
USA Network has 11 episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent.
WE has 10 episodes of The Golden Girls tonight.