News & Notes
Over on cable, Cooking Channel has the third season finale of Unique Eats and the first season finale of Unique Sweets, Discovery Channel has a Great White Invasion special and a Jaws Comes Home special, G4 has the third season premiere of American Ninja Warrior, Lifetime has the series premiere of Against the Wall, Showtime has the second season finale of The Real L Word, and TV Guide Channel has a 25 Biggest TV Blunders 2 special.
Lifetime is moving The Protector to Monday nights starting tomorrow, August 1st.
The Simpsons (FOX): Repeat. “The Scorpion’s Tale” episode replays, where Grandpa gets kicked out of the retirement home and has to move in with the family. Runs 30 minutes.
Leverage (TNT): New. The team is trying to help a family and while doing so their son gets kidnapped. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “The Hot Potato Job,” replays right before.
The Glades (A&E): New. A guy is found dead inside a box of poisonous snakes. The previous four episodes replay earlier in the day.
Challenge (Food Network): Repeat. Four cake designers build life size dog cakes. Plays again later.
Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime): New. Jane gets a pro bono case in the D.A.’s office. Grayson is representing Stacy in a lawsuit resulting from her video blog. Plays again later.
Falling Skies (TNT): New. Tom is worrying about Weaver. Hal and Tom meet a woman that was left behind while out on a recon mission. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “Sanctuary, Part 2,” replays earlier in the day. Um, so much happens in this episode that I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us over the final two episodes of the season. Tonight’s episode is not to be missed.
- Against the Wall (Lifetime): Series Premiere. A female cop takes a detective position in Internal Affairs with doesn’t sit well with her three brothers and father, who are all cops as well. Plays twice. This is a solid cop/family drama. It feels a bit like CBS’ Blue Bloods and is a significant improvement over The Protector, which it is replacing on the night. The first episode comes off a bit choppy, but does a good job of introducing all the characters and situations. It also sets up something you’ll probably see coming, but will be interesting to watch play out in the next episode. The cast is great and includes Treat Williams (Everwood) as the father and Kathy Baker (Picket Fences) as the mother of Det. Abby Kowalski, played by Rachael Carpani (The Glades, McLeod’s Daughters).
- Alphas (Syfy): Repeats. The first three episodes replay.
- Breaking Bad (AMC): New. Things are getting out of control. Skyler goes to Saul for help. Plays twice and again later.
- Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO): New. Larry sets out to invalidate a dating taboo. Starts five minutes after the hour and runs 30 minutes. Plays again later.
- Entourage (HBO): New. Eric gets an interesting v-mail. Vince’s movie is being turned into a TV movie. Ari takes Lloyd on a recon mission. Starts five minutes after the half hour and runs 30 minutes. Plays again later.
- Food Network Star (Food Network): New. The finalists work with Bobby Flay. Plays again later.
- In Plain Sight (USA Network): New. Mary is protecting a pregnant woman from the gangster father of her baby. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “Provo-Cation,” replays earlier in the day.
- Iron Chef America (Food Network): New. Chef Wayne Johnson takes on Iron Chef Michael Symon. Plays again later.
- ABC has final round coverage of the Women’s British Open golf tournament.
- ESPN has final round coverage of the Women’s British Open golf tournament early, NASCAR racing action with the Sprint Cup: Brickyard 400, X Games 17 and then Sunday Night Baseball MLB action with the Chicago Cubs at the St. Louis Cardinals.
- ESPN2 has some X Games 17 coverage tonight.
- NBC has final round coverage of the Senior U.S. Open golf tournament.
- TBS has early MLB action with the Boston Red Sox at the Chicago White Sox.
- Awkward. (MTV): Repeats. The first two episodes replay.
- Eureka (Syfy): Repeats. The first three episodes of this half season replay.
- White Collar (TNT): Repeat. Last Tuesday’s episode, “As You Were,” replays
- Warehouse 13 (Syfy): Repeats. The first three episodes of this season replay.
A&E has six episodes of Criminal Minds tonight.
Bravo has five episodes of Millionaire Matchmaker.
Discovery Channel is all about sharks.
Spike TV has 10 episodes of Auction Hunters tonight.
USA Network has seven episodes of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.