News & Notes
Tonight, ABC has the ninth season premiere of Extreme Makeover: Extreme Makeover, the eighth season premiere of Desperate Housewives and the series premiere of Pan Am, CBS has the 44th season premiere of 60 Minutes, the 19th season premiere of The Amazing Race, the third season premiere of The Good Wife and the 10th season premiere of CSI: Miami, and FOX has the 23rd season premiere of The Simpsons, the third season premiere of The Cleveland Show, the 10th season premiere of Family Guy and the seventh season premiere of American Dad.
Over on cable, BET has an UNCF: An Evening of Stars special, Comedy Central has a Jeff Dunham: Controlled Chaos comedy special, Discovery Channel has a Greatest Storms 2011 special and the fifth season premiere of Storm Chasers, E! has the series premiere of Dirty Soap, Food Network has the second season finale of The Great Food Truck Race, GSN has a Dog Park Superstars special, HBO has the second season premiere of Boardwalk Empire, History has the fifth season finale of Ice Road Truckers and the second season premiere of IRT: Deadliest Roads, Lifetime has the third season finale of Drop Dead Diva, Spike TV has the first season finale of Bar Rescue, and TLC has the second fall season premiere of Sister Wives and the series premiere of Long Island Medium.
In late night, Bravo has the fifth season premiere of Watch What Happens, CMT has an Invitation Only: Trace Adkins special, and E! has the fourth season premiere of Kendra.
Enter our Raising Hope Season 1 DVD giveaway.
Tomorrow is the Suburgatory Preview Screening & Seattle Area TV Fan Tweetup.
Next Sunday, HBO has the season premieres of Hung and How to Make It in America and Showtime has the season premiere of Dexter and the series premiere of Homeland. I mistakenly put down last week that Once Upon a Time started tonight, but it doesn’t premiere until October 23rd.
The Simpsons (FOX): Season Premiere. Homer makes a new friend at the power plant. Marge is dreaming of being a Top Chef contestant. Runs 30 minutes.
The Good Wife (CBS): Season Premiere. Alicia must deal with personal distractions as she defends a Muslim student that has been accused of murdering a Jewish student. How excited are you for the return of this show?
Pan Am (ABC): Series Premiere. The story of the first flight of the Clipper Majestic from New York to London and its crew is told to set the series in motion. Stars a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes. This is one of the best new series of the fall. Far better than The Playboy that is also set in the 1960s. This is a very good “Pilot” episode. It introduces the characters with flashbacks while we follow them on the inaugural flight. This is done really well and the recreation of the times is great as well. It’s not just a soap set in the past, but has an interesting mystery element too and is definitely worth checking out tonight.
Challenge (Food Network): New. Four cake designers compete to make the best “Lion King Cakes.” Plays again later.
Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime): Season Finale. Jane and Kim work together to help a death row inmate. Grayson takes on Stacy’s case. Kim wants to become a partner at the firm. Jane is asked to take a sailing trip to New Zealand with Owen. Plays again later. Lifetime has picked the show up for a fourth season.
Against the Wall (Lifetime): New. Abby and Lina are investigating a crime scene photographer and end up in the middle of a murder investigation. Plays again later.
- Awkward. (MTV): Repeats. This past Tuesday’s episode, “No Doubt,” replays followed by the previous week’s episode, “My Super Bittersweet Sixteen.”
- Boardwalk Empire (HBO): Season Premiere. Nucky is shocked that his inner circle would turn on him. Chalky is threatened by an attack. Plays thrice.
- Breaking Bad (AMC): New. Walt will do anything to protect his secret. Skyler finds problems trying to help Ted with his financial problems. Runs 64 minutes. Plays twice and again later.
- Desperate Housewives (ABC): Season Premiere. The ladies of the lane are dealing with the guild of covering up what Carlos did. Runs 61 minutes. This will be the final season of the series and given that fact the new season starts out in a very interesting way.
- The Great Food Truck Race (Food Network): Season Finale. The final two trucks compete for the grand prize in Miami. Plays again later.
- CBS has NFL action today.
- ESPN has NASCAR racing action with the Sprint Cup: Sylvania 300.
- ESPN2 has doubleheader WNBA Playoff action.
- FOX has NFL action today.
- NBC has final round coverage of the Tour Championship golf tournament and later Sunday Night Football with the Pittsburgh Steelers at the Indianapolis Colts.
- TBS has doubleheader MLB action with the Boston Red Sox at the New York Yankees followed by the San Francisco Giants at the Arizona Diamondbacks.
A&E has seven episodes of Criminal Minds tonight.
BET has 14 episodes of The Parkers.
History has 15 episodes of Ice Road Truckers.
MTV has 10 episodes of Jersey Shore.
Oxygen has 11 episodes of Snapped.
Spike TV has 12 episodes of Auction Hunters.
TLC has 10 episodes of Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta followed by 10 episodes of Sister Wives.
TNT has seven episodes of Law & Order early.
USA Network has eight episodes of NCIS tonight.
WE tv has five episodes of Bridezillas.