News & Notes
Over on cable, Food Network has the first season finale of Halloween Wars, HGTV has the third season finale of Holmes Inspection, Lifetime has the first season premiere of Against the Wall, style has the series premieres of Glam Fairy and Wicked Fit, and Travel Channel has the first season finale of Making Monsters.
In late night, Adult Swim has the fifth fall season premiere of Robot Chicken.
Next Sunday, Food Network has the season premiere of The Next Iron Chef and FOX has the series premiere of Allen Gregory.
Once Upon a Time (ABC): Series Premiere. A woman’s life gets turned upside down after she gets a visit from a young boy claiming to be the son she gave up for adoption as a baby. She takes him back to his adoptive mother and along the way learns that the kid thinks she is the key to fixing the problems of the town he lives in. He believes the inhabitants are actually fairytale characters that have been kept in limbo in this small town where time doesn’t move. It’s a little hard to describe exactly, but it is definitely worth watching. Once Upon a Time is my favorite new network “Pilot” of the fall. A very close second overall (network and cable) this fall to Showtime’s Homeland. When you add in CBS’ The Good Wife, it makes tonight the best three hour block of TV you can find on one night right now. Tonight’s premiere tells a fantastic story that weaves between now and the past in fairytale land, where we learn how they ended up in this town. I can’t wait to see more. I want to see how the storytelling style works going forward, given the story that is told in this episode. The cast is great as well with Ginnifer Goodwin (Big Love), Jennifer Morrison (House, M.D.), Lana Parrilla (Miami Medical) and Robert Carlyle (Stargate Universe). Are you planning to watch?
The Good Wife (CBS): New. The key witness in Alicia’s trial commits suicide, which leaves her needing help from Colin Sweeney, who is behind bars for killing his wife.
Homeland (Showtime): New. Brody’s behavior is a bit erratic and it puts him potentially at odds with the media. Carrie is desperate to find some actual evidence on Brody. Plays again later.
Challenge (Food Network): New. Four cake artists compete in a “Halloween Ghost Story Cakes” competition. Plays again later.
Dexter (Showtime): New. Dexter is having a crisis of faith and goes to Brother Sam for help. Debra has to go before the press regarding the latest serial killer. Plays again later.
Pan Am (ABC): New. Kate finds out that the guy that she and Maggie have been going after is part of her next mission. Dean lets a sexy passenger tempt him. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes.
- Against the Wall (Lifetime): Season Finale. Lina and Abby are looking into hazing at a police recruitment facility in the first episode. In the second, Abby and Lina are investigating Don’s ex-partner. Runs two hours. Last week’s episode replays right before. The second episode replays right after. Both of tonight’s episode replay again later..
- Boardwalk Empire (HBO): New. Nucky has a surprise at the war veterans’ dedication. He also gets himself a new lawyer. Plays again later.
- Case Histories (PBS): New. The family of a drowning victim is searched for and a crime novelist is met along the way. Runs two hours.
- Desperate Housewives (ABC): New. Susan’s art teacher wants the students to get naked during class. Renee takes Lynette out to a singles bar. Carlos hist rock bottom. Runs 61 minutes.
- Iron Chef America (Food Network): New. Chef Marc Forgione takes on Chef Lee Anne Wong in a Halloween battle. Plays again later.
- The Walking Dead (AMC): New. The events of last week lead’s Rick to a potential safe haven, but to save his son Shane and another must go on a dangerous mission to find medical supplies. Plays twice and again later. Last week’s second season premiere episode replays right before. Another really good episode.
- CBS has NFL action today.
- ESPN has NASCAR racing action with the Sprint Cup: The Good Sam Club 500.
- FOX has NFL action today and Game 4 of the World Series tonight with the St. Louis Cardinals at the Texas Rangers.
- NBC has Sunday Night Football with the Indianapolis Colts at the New Orleans Saints.
A&E has eight episodes of Criminal Minds tonight.
Bravo has five episodes of The Real Housewives of New Jersey tonight.
Discovery Channel has 10 episodes of Gold Rush: Alaska.
Oxygen has 13 episodes of Snapped.
Spike TV has 14 episodes of Auction Hunters.
TNT has 10 episodes of Law & Order early.
USA Newtork has 13 episodes of NCIS.
WE tv has five episodes of My Fair Wedding With David Tutera followed by eight episodes of Bridezillas.