News & Notes
Over on cable, Discovery Channel has the series premiere of Mobster Confessions, E! has a Fashion Police: The 2012 Golden Globe Awards special and the first season finale of Scouted, Food Network has the second season premiere of Heat Seekers, Syfy has the second season premiere of Being Human and the series premiere of Lost Girl, and TLC has a DC Cupcakes: One Ton Cupcake special.
Note: Those reading this via email may need to click over to the website to watch the embedded interview videos.
How I Met Your Mother (CBS): New. Marshall and Lily decide to officially move into the house in the suburbs. Lily’s father won’t leave. This is the 150th episode of the show.
2 Broke Girls (CBS): New. Max and Caroline don’t like their new upstairs neighbor.
Being Human (Syfy): Season Premiere. Given the events that ended last season, it has fallen to Aidan to take care of the vampires. Josh is getting ready to reenter medical school. Sally finds her power growing. Plays again later two times. The first season, which replays today on Syfy, turned into a very good show, even if it felt too similar at times to the British version. But, the thing I liked most about the first few episodes of season two is that it feels very much like its own show now. Watch the panel interview with Sam Witwer, Meahgan Rath and Sam Huntington from Syfy Digital Tour last October below:
Castle (ABC): New. A woman’s body is found in a car that seems to be connected to the Mayor, who is a longtime friend of Castle. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes.
Alcatraz (FOX): Series Premiere. A San Francisco police detective and a guy that has written books on Alcatraz end up in the middle of a secret organization tasked with tracking down the 302 inmates that went missing years ago and have now started returning. Runs two hours. I really like this show. While each week looks to revolve around a case of the week, there is a lot of overarching mystery to be solved. I also very much liked the small changes they made from the original “Pilot” to the first hour being shown tonight. I think some of these elements may show back up in later episodes, but they were not needed in the introduction of the main cast of characters. I will definitely be continuing with it. Watch a short interview with star Sarah Jones below and find more video interviews with the cast, including Jorge Garcia, from Comic-Con last July at theTVaholic’s YouTube channel.
Lost Girl (Syfy): Series Premiere. A woman learns that she isn’t the only one that is like her. She is part of the Fae, which keeps themselves hidden from society. Plays again later. This is a solid hit up in Canada and Syfy has bought the rights to play it down here in the states. While it has a slightly lower budget feel, it feels closer in quality to other really good Canadian productions like Being Erica and Flashpoint. I quite enjoyed the first two episodes and am totally onboard. Watch the panel interview with stars Anna Silk and Zoie Palmer from the Syfy Digital Press Tour last October below:
- Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives (Food Network): New. Guy takes part in a little “Meat Madness.” Two repeat episode play before and one after. All four play again later.
- Gossip Girl (The CW): New. Blair tells what happened in the aftermath of the car accident. Nate finds that the accident may have been from foul play. Lily engages a private detective to find Charlie.
- Hawaii Five-0 (CBS): New. Chin Ho tells McGarrett something about Joe White that he didn’t want to hear. Danny ends up having to help his ex after she goes into labor.
- The Lying Game (ABC Family): New. Emma, Ethan and Thayer have a new lead to follow. Laurel is found to be quite impressive at her mother’s charity auction. Last week’s episode, “When We Dead Awaken,” replays earlier in the day and the previous two before that.
- Pretty Littlle Liars (ABC Family): New. Hanna hesitates in telling Caleb what really happened on the boat. Spencer is hot on another lead. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “A Hot Piece of ‘A’,” replays right before and the previous five before that.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS): New. Zoey attempts to get Walden to cut his hair and shave his beard. Runs 31 minutes.
- ESPN has NBA action with the Chicago Bulls at the Memphis Grizzlies followed by quadruple college basketball action with Louisville at Marquette, Texas A&M at Missouri, Pittsburgh at Syracuse and Baylor at Kansas.
- ESPN2 has women’s college basketball action with North Carolina at Connecticut.
- TNT has doubleheader NBA action tonight.
- NBA TV has a game today.
- NBC Sports has a game tonight.
BBC America has 14 episodes of Top Gear.
Syfy has 14 episodes of Being Human.
USA Network has 15 episodes of NCIS.
WE tv has 18 episodes of The Golden Girls.