News & Notes
Over on cable, Bravo has part two of the second season reunion special of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Discovery Channel has the first season finale of First Week In.
House (FOX): New. Foreman’s first mentor is brought in to investigate a case that spurs a violent incident. He is questioning everyone involved. This, as with pretty much every episode that veers from the normal storytelling pattern, is fantastic. We see the story play out as each doctor recounts his or her involvement in the case. While the episode is great on an individual level and has an interesting ending, as with most character growth on this series it will probably not stick long term. This episode shows that they can still make TV worth watching, but given that House always returns to his normal has been the downfall of the series over the last couple seasons for me.
Being Human (Syfy): New. Aidan continues to fight falling back into old habits. Josh meets a couple of werewolves that are brother and sister. Sally comes in contact with an old friend. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “All Out of Blood,” replays right before.
Castle (ABC): New. A modern day treasure hunter is killed and Beckett and Castle must figure out how it connects to an old murder case from 1947. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes. This is one of the best episodes they have ever done. I’m sure it would easily make my top seven, if I ever put such a list together. This is just fantastic storytelling and getting to see the cast fill out Castle’s imagination of what took place back in 1947 was just so much fun. Plus, they have a lot of fun with the way the case plays with the Beckett and Castle relationship in present day.
How I Met Your Mother (CBS): New. Lily and Marshall decide to throw a housewarming party, where Ted almost gets in a fight with Marshall’s boss.
2 Broke Girls (CBS): New. Caroline and Max try to get hired on with Sophie’s maid service.
Hart of Dixie (The CW): New. Zoe decides on a sleepover with Rose instead of attending the town dance with Judson. Lemon decides it is time for her dad to start dating again and sets him up on a date without him knowing.
Smash (NBC): Series Premiere. A pair of successful writers looking to take some time off hit upon the idea of doing a Broadway musical about the life of Marilyn Monroe and get inspired. They team up with producer looking to make a comeback and start looking for the actress that will play the iconic role. A brilliant, but flawed, director is brought in and a seasoned chorus girl competes with a new actress trying to make it in the big city. This is one of the best “Pilot” episodes of this TV season. Whether you like musicals or not, you should give it a shot. Also, if you hate Glee, you may still like this. As other than they both have some singing, they aren’t really alike at all. Things may play out a little faster than would actually happen when trying to get a show like this off the ground, but this first episode has a wonderful arc. What I don’t know is how it will play as a series and how it will work long term. I will need to see more episodes for that. But, as a single hour of TV, it is quite compelling and definitely has me looking forward to future episodes.
- Alcatraz (FOX): New. A former guard reappears this week and runs into an old acquaintance.
- Gossip Girl (The CW): New. Blair goes on the run with Dan after leaving her wedding reception. Serena is protecting someone. Georgina is on the trail of a scandal.
- Hawaii Five-0 (CBS): New. The team steps in to help Danny after a vengeful dirty cop from his past comes to the island to hurt his family.
- The Lying Game (ABC Family): New. Ethan heads to his father’s place to hide out from the cops. Emma gets stuck having to lie in the wake of Ethan leaving. Last week’s episode, “Dead Man Talking,” replays earlier in the evening.
- Lost Girl (Syfy): New. Bo is dealing with Dyson’s rejection with the help of Kenzi. Plays again later.
- Pretty Littlle Liars (ABC Family): New. Everyone ends up stuck together at the high school and the girls hope to get some answers. Emily gets a little help getting back on the swim team. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “A Kiss Before Lying,” replays right before.
- Two and a Half Men (CBS): New. Walden attempts to get Zooey to loosen up a bit with the help of Berta’s special brownies. Runs 31 minutes.
- ESPN has doubleheader college basketball action with Connecticut at Louisville followed by Texas at Texas A&M.
- ESPN2 has doubleheader women’s college basketball action with North Carolina at Duke followed by Oklahoma at Baylor.
- NBA TV has doubleheader action tonight.
- NBC Sports has NHL action.
- White Collar (USA Network): Repeat. Last Tuesday’s episode, “Neighborhood Watch,” replays.
Oxygen has 12 episodes of Living Single early.
Spike TV has six episodes of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.
USA Network has 13 episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent early.
WE tv has 10 episodes of The Golden Girls tonight.