News & Notes
Tonight, ABC has a Once Upon a Time: Magic Is Coming special, the second season premieres of Once Upon a Time and Revenge and the series premiere of 666 Park Avenue, CBS has the 45th season premiere of 60 Minutes, the 21st season premiere of The Amazing Race, the fourth season premiere of The Good Wife and the fifth season premiere of The Mentalist, FOX has the 24th season premiere of The Simpsons, the third season premiere of Bob’s Burgers, the 11th season premiere of Family Guy and the eighth season premiere of American Dad, and PBS has the series premiere of Call the Midwife.
Over on cable, Bravo has a The Real Housewives of New Jersey reunion special, Food Network has a Cupcake Wars special and the third season finale of The Great Food Truck Race, Showtime has the seventh season premiere of Dexter and the second season premiere of Homeland, Spike TV has the second season finale of Bar Rescue and a Tattoo Rescue special, and Travel Channel has the second season premiere of Making Monsters.
In late night, Travel Channel has the series premiere of Destination Fear.
Once Upon a Time (ABC): Season Premiere. The curse has been broken, but everyone hasn’t been transported back to their land. A season one recap clip show plays right before. Season one ended in such a way that you made you wonder where they would or even could go from there. Well, where they go is very interesting and sets the new season on what looks to be a fun path.
The Good Wife (CBS): Season Premiere. Alicia ends up on the offensive after a state trooper targets Zach. Kalinda decides to stay and face the problems she has been hiding from. Diane and Will continue to investigate the firm’s financial woes. So happy to have this show back.
Homeland (Showtime): Season Premiere. Carrie’s routine is disrupted. Brody finds out about Nazir’s new plans. Dana says something about her father she shouldn’t have. Plays again later. Not everyone loved the way season one ended with Carrie getting the surgery etc. But, this season sets up some very tense situations. Watching Carrie be temporarily brought back in and how she reacts is fantastic. Yet, wait until you see what happens next week. I thoroughly enjoyed this week’s premiere, but was totally and completely drawn back in and can’t wait to see more after watching next week’s episode. They have not lost their touch from last season. Are you excited for tonight’s return?
The Simpsons (FOX): Season Premiere. The whole family takes a trip to New York to look for Bart’s long-lost love. Runs 30 minutes.
Revenge (ABC): Season Premiere. Emily begins to plan her next move after the events of last summer. Runs 61 minutes. Have seen the first third or so of tonight’s episode, but am very intrigued by what may happen in the rest of the episode considering ABC didn’t put up the whole episode to screen before tonight’s premiere.
The Mentalist (CBS): Season Premiere. Jane is trying to figure out the connection between Lorelai and Red John, while the team works with the FBI on the investigation of a dead hotel employee. Have grown cold towards the Red John stuff and really wish they would wrap it up. Feels way too drawn out at this point. Yet, still enjoy the Jane character and how he helps in the investigations. What do you think? Do you wish they would clear up the Red John mystery at this point?
- 666 Park Avenue (ABC): Series Premiere. A young couple jumps at the chance to become the manager of an apartment building in New York and begin to be seduced by the lifestyle of the Upper East Side. Supernatural and strange occurrences happen around the building. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes. This show creates a very good mysterious and disturbing feel. It sets up the ability to tell many different stories with the main cast of the creepy building’s inhabitants and the building itself. But given the size of the building, it gives them many opportunities to bring in guest stars for single episodes or small arcs. There was enough here to get me wanting to see more, but wishing they had given us just a bit more in the opening episode. Felt there wasn’t quite enough information given about what is going on to completely draw me in. Yet, this episode is in the top half of new fall drama “Pilot” episodes. Am very interested to find out what you think about the show?
- Boss (Starz): Repeat. This past Friday’s episode, “The Conversation,” replays. Also replays earlier this afternoon and again later.
- Copper (BBC America): New. Corcoran begins to rethink how he handled Annie. Morehouse is brought an interesting deal by some out-of-towners.
- Dexter (Showtime): Season Premiere. Deb believes Dexter’s explanation for what she witnessed him doing and helps to cover it up. Quinn and Batista clear the air. LaGuerta begins to work on an old case after potential new evidence is found. Plays again later. The show has finally gone in the direction we’ve been wanting for some time now. I think this season is going to be really good as Dexter will be triangulated by given the events over the first three episodes. I am very intrigued to see how they handle things going forward. Did last season’s ending get you excited for Dexter’s return?
- The Great Food Truck Race (Food Network): New. The two remaining teams head for Boston and then to another city and the winner is announced. Plays again later. Last week’s episode replays earlier this evening. Who do you want to win?
- Strike Back (MoreMAX): Repeat. This past Friday’s episode replays. Also replays earlier this afternoon on Cinemax.
- CBS has NFL action today.
- ESPN has NASCAR racing action with the Sprint Cup: AAA 400 and tonight has a WNBA Playoff game.
- ESPN2 has a WNBA Playoff game today.
- FOX has NFL action today.
- NBC has Day 3 coverage of the Ryder Cup golf tournament today and later Sunday Night Football with the New York Giants at the Philadelphia Eagles.
- TBS has MLB action today with the Tampa Bay Rays at the Chicago White Sox.
- Doctor Who (BBC America): Repeats. The last two episodes, “The Power of Three” and “The Angels Take Manhattan,” replay.
Sunday TV Marathons
gmc has 10 episodes of Heartland today.
Hallmark Movie Channel is playing episodes of Murder, She Wrote all day.
TNT has nine episodes of Law & Order early.
TV Land has 15 episodes of Roseanne early.
USA Network has eight episodes of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit tonight.
What will you watch on this big Sunday night of TV? If you could only choose one show, which one would it be?