News & Notes
Over on cable, Discovery Channel has the series premieres of Extreme Smuggling and Shipwreck Men, E! has a Fashion Police: The 2013 Golden Globe Awards, Showtime has the first season finale of Oliver Stone’s Untold History of the United States, and Syfy has the series premiere of Continuum and the third season premieres of Being Human and Lost Girl.
Switched at Birth (ABC Family): New. Regina finds out about Angelo and the baby on the way. Bay applies for Carlton’s pilot program. Toby sees a photo from Nikki’s past that he doesn’t like so much. Plays again later. Last week’s episode replays earlier this evening.
Bunheads (ABC Family): New. Truly gets evicted from her shop. Carl wants Boo to meet his parents. Michelle gets set up on a blind date by her friend Talia. The girls are interested in a couple of talented new comers at school. Last week’s episode replays earlier this evening.
Castle (ABC): New. Castle and Beckett investigate the death of an up-and-coming DJ, which gets them looking into the city’s music scene. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes.
The Carrie Diaries (The CW): Series Premiere. This Sex and the City prequel follows Carrie Bradshaw, her sister and father shortly after the death of her mother as she begins her junior year of high school. In the premiere, she gets her fist real taste of Manhattan, after she lands an internship at a law firm. Plays twice and again Thursday. While I am far from the target demographic for this show, I quite enjoyed it. The cast is solid and the re-creation of the 80s is fantastic. I do find it weird following certain aspects of a show like this, because we know what happens to Carrie later in life.
Being Human (Syfy): Season Premiere. Aidan resurfaces and finds things are very different for vampires. Sally is still trying to get out of limbo. Josh and Nora deal with a new reality. Plays again later. Very interested in the changes for each character and how things play out the rest of the season.
Lost Girl (Syfy): Season Premiere. Bo does a favor for Lauren that could risk her freedom and the new ash is revealed. Plays again later. A couple of interesting new developments.
- Bones (FOX): New. Two episodes play tonight. The team investigates the death of dancer about to audition for a competition show, so Booth and Bones go undercover at the show. In the second episode, the team investigates the death of an archaeologist.
- Continuum (Syfy): Series Premiere. A cop from 2077 gets transported back to the present with a group of terrorist set on changing things in the future. She attempts to blend in and track them down, while also trying to find a way back to her time. Plays again later. I’ve always like Rachel Nichols, but it took me awhile to even recognize that it was her with the dark hair as the lead. This is a pretty good Canadian series that I enjoyed quite a bit. Glad, like Lost Girl, that Syfy gave it a home down here in the States. I’ve now seen the first two and plan on watching the rest of the season.
- Deception (NBC): New. Joanna begins to look into the supposed drug use of Vivian. Robert deals with a threat to his family.
- Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives (Food Network): New. Guy visits some places with some “Savory Sensations.” Runs 30 minutes. Plays again later. Eight repeat episodes play right before and one right after.
- Hawaii Five-0 (CBS): New. There are three suspects in the murder of a professor and you get to choose the ending of the show and who did it.
- How I Met Your Mother (CBS): New. Robin wants Barney to go old school and ask her father for permission to marry his daughter. Ted dives into wedding planning. Runs 30 minutes.
- ESPN has doubleheader college basketball action with Louisville at Connecticut followed by Baylor at Kansas.
- ESPN2 has early round coverage of the Australian Open tennis tournament.
- NBA TV has a game tonight.
Monday TV Marathons
Criminal Minds (ION): Nine episodes tonight.
Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives (Food Network): Has 10 episodes tonight.
House (Oxygen): Seven episodes early.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (Oxygen): Five episodes tonight.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (USA Network): Has 11 episodes early.
Martin (TV One): Has 12 episodes early.
The Mentalist (TNT): Seven episodes tonight.
NCIS (USA Network): Five episodes tonight.
Roseanne (WE tv): Has 18 episodes tonight.
With the addition of the Syfy shows and the return of new episodes on CBS tonight, Monday nights have become packed. And, there is still FOX’s The Following to come next week. What will you watch on Monday Television?