News & Notes
Tonight, FOX has the series premieres of Dads and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, the third season premiere of New Girl and the second season premiere of The Mindy Project and PBS has the 32nd season premiere of Frontline.
Over on cable, Discovery Channel has the second season finale of Amish Mafia, Syfy has the first season finale of Heroes of Cosplay, Travel Channel has the second season finale of Airport 24/7: Miami, and USA Network has the fourth summer season finale of Covert Affairs and the third summer season finale of Suits.
Next Tuesday, ABC has the series premieres of Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD, The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife and the second season premiere of Lucky 7, CBS has the 11th season premiere of NCIS, the fifth season premiere of NCIS: Los Angeles and the third season premiere of Person of Interest, and NBC has the second season premiere of Chicago Fire.
Whose Line Is It Anyway? (The CW): New. Jonathan Magnum (Let’s Make a Deal) joins the panel and Chloe Butler and Monique Gaxiola (Legends Football League) join in for a couple of games. A repeat episode follows.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX): Series Premiere. Andy Samberg (Saturday Night Live) plays Det. Jake Peralta, who is a great cop but a bit carefree, and the rest of the precinct are introduced to their by-the-book new captain, Ray Holt played by Andre Braugher (Men of a Certain Age, Homicide: Life on the Streets), who comes in to whip the 99th into shape. I really liked this. It is one of my favorite new shows of the fall. It may feel a bit SNL sketchy at first, but becomes a little more by the end. I look forward to following these detectives on their investigations.
Covert Affairs (USA Network): Summer Finale. Annie sets out to takedown Henry and ends up facing off against Calder. Runs 61 minutes. Plays again later. Season four resumes on Thursday, October 17th following the fifth season premiere of White Collar.
Suits (USA Network): Summer Finale. An old nemesis needs to be dealt with. Harvey and Scottie are once again on opposite sides of a case. Mike and Rachel are feeling the scrutiny of Jessica. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 61 minutes. Plays again later. Season three resumes in January.
- The Mindy Project (FOX): Season Premiere. Mindy and Casey are doing well in Haiti until Mindy needs to be airlifted back to New York after falling ill. A new doctor played by James Franco has joined Schulman & Associates as a new resident OB and sex therapist, who is trying to help Danny and Christina. Runs 30 minutes. This show definitely got better as the season went along, yet there still are some problems. Mainly with the cast, as it is too big. But, I still enjoyed this episode and thought they did a pretty good job of getting things back to normal with Mindy back in New York. If you gave up on it last season, it’s worth giving a second chance.
- New Girl (FOX): Season Premiere. Nick and Jess head down to Mexico and run into some trouble in a small beach town. Schmidt has to make a choice between Elizabeth and Cece. Winston is obsessed with finishing a puzzle. Runs 30 minutes. Last season was great and I can’t wait to see what kinds of wacky hijinks they get into this season.
- The Newsroom (HBO2): Repeat. This past Sunday night’s second season finale episode, “Election Night, Part II,” replays.
- Person of Interest (CBS): Repeat. Last season’s finale episode, “God Mode,” replays. Season three premieres next week.
- Sons of Anarchy (FX): New. Jax deals with collateral damage from the events of last week’s episode. What did you think about how the sixth season premiere episode ended?. Runs 91 minutes. Plays three times. Check out some video interviews with the cast about the new season and a photo gallery from Comic-Con 2013.
- Strike Back (MoMAX): Repeat. This past Friday night’s episode replays.
- MLB Network has a game tonight.
- Dexter (Showtime): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “Monkey in a Box,” replays. Plays again later.
- Graceland (USA Network): Repeat. Last Thursday’s first season finale episode, “Pawn,” replays.
- The Newsroom (HBO): Repeat. This past Sunday night’s second season finale episode, “Election Night, Part II,” replays.
- Strike Back (Cinemax): Repeat. This past Friday night’s episode replays.
Tuesday TV Marathons
Criminal Minds (ION): Nine episodes.
The Jeffersons (TV One): Has 12 episodes early.
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (USA Network): Has 15 episodes.
Star Trek: The Next Generation (BBC America): Nine episodes.