News & Notes
Tonight, ABC has the sixth season premiere of Castle, CBS has the ninth season premiere of How I Met Your Mother, the third season premiere of 2 Broke Girls and the series premieres of Mom and Hostages, and NBC has the fifth season premiere of The Voice and the series premiere of The Blacklist.
Over on cable, E! has a Fashion Police: The 2013 Emmys, Esquire has the Esquire’s 80th special, and HBO has the documentary premiere of First Cousin Once Removed.
Enter our Modern Family Season 4 Blu-ray giveaway.
How I Met Your Mother (CBS): Season Premiere. Robin and Barney learn something that startles them. Marshall’s journey to get back for the wedding gets altered. Looking forward to seeing how the show is going to work this season with the whole season taking place over the wedding weekend.
How I Met Your Mother (CBS): New. Robin is wondering how Barney is going to take some news from James. Marshall continues to try and get back for the wedding.
Sleepy Hollow (FOX): New. Ichabod and Abbie end up on the hunt for a witch from the 1700s after a vision from his former wife. Andy takes on a questionable mission.
Castle (ABC): Season Premiere. Beckett gives Castle an answer to his question and then gets himself caught up in some trouble during an investigation he isn’t supposed to be a part of. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes. This is a fun episode that sets up a three episode arc that will ultimately get the show back to what we have come to love about it, yet still advancing the character stories. I wondered how they were going to write themselves out of the hole they put themselves in and think they have a done a good job in a way that will make sense.
Bones (FOX): New. An investigation leads to a marriage retreat site. Sweets thinks about taking a leave of absence.
Mom (CBS): Series Premiere. A newly sober single mother deals with the return of her estranged mother. Starts at the half hour and runs 31 minutes. They may be something here. The cast with Allison Janey and Anna Faris is great and they play great off of each other. It really depends on what type of show it decides it wants to be. If they focus on the women trying to get their lives back, staying sober and each becoming the mother their daughter deserves, it could be a fun and interesting trip.
The Blacklist (NBC): Series Premiere. A wanted fugitive turns himself in, but will only talk with recent Quantico graduate Agent Elizabeth Keen. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes. This is my favorite new drama of the fall. It does a really good job of giving you an overall compelling ongoing story with a case of the week. It also has a really good cast headlined by James Spader that gets to be all James Spader-y in this role and Megan Boone (Blue Bloods) holds her own with him. I talked about The Blacklist and the rest of the NBC Fall Schedule with @mytakeontv and @ShowPatrol over at TVtimesThree.
- Devious Maids (Lifetime): Repeat. Last night’s first season finale, “Totally Clean,” replays. Plays again later.
- Dexter (Showtime): Repeat. Last night’s series finale episode, “Remember the Monsters?,” replays. Plays again later.
- Hart of Dixie (The CW): Repeat. Last season’s finale episode, “On the Road Again,” replays.
- Hostages (CBS): Series Premiere. The family of a doctor that is about to operate on the president is taken hostage and threatened so the doctor will kill the president during the surgery. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes. I liked the “Pilot” episode, but wondering how the show will work over 15 episodes. The cast is great and it could be a fun thriller, but am less than enthused by the idea that it could go to a second season. I talked about Hostages and the rest of the CBS Fall Schedule with @DocBrown_TV and @kyool over at TVtimesThree.
- ESPN has Monday Night Football action with the Oakland Raiders at the Denver Broncos.
- MLB Network has a game tonight.
- Breaking Bad (AMC): Repeat. Last night’s episode, “Granite State,” replays.
Monday TV Marathons
Castle (TNT): Six episodes tonight.
Criminal Minds (ION): Has 11 episodes.
CSI: Miami (WE tv): Five episodes tonight.
Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives (Food Network): Has 12 episodes tonight.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (Oxygen): Five episodes.
Martin (TV One): Has 12 episodes early.
NCIS: Los Angeles (USA Network): Has 14 episodes.
Star Trek (Syfy): Four movies play today.
Touched by an Angel (UPtv): Five episodes tonight.