News & Notes
Tonight, ABC has the third season premiere of Once Upon a Time, the third season premiere of Revenge and the series premiere of Betrayal, CBS has the 46th season premiere of 60 Minutes, the 23rd season premiere of The Amazing Race, the fifth season premiere of The Good Wife and the sixth season premiere of The Mentalist, FOX has the 25th season premiere of The Simpsons, the fourth season premiere of Bob’s Burgers, the 12th season premiere of Family Guy and the ninth season premiere of American Dad, and PBS has the seventh season premiere of Foyle’s War.
Over on cable, AMC has the series finales of Breaking Bad and Talking Bad, BBC America has a Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited – The Ninth Doctor, Bravo has the fifth season finale of The Real Housewives of New Jersey, Disney Channel has the second season finale of Austin & Ally, Food Network has the third season finale of Rachael vs. Guy: Kids Cook-Off and the fourth season finale of The Great Food Truck Race, HBO has the fourth season premiere of Eastbound & Down and the series premiere of Hello Ladies, History has the second season finale of Mountain Men, Nickelodeon has the series premiere of Instant Mom, Showtime has the third season premiere of Homeland and the series premiere of Masters of Sex, and Travel Channel has the third season premiere of Making Monsters and a Halloween Night Frights special.
Next Sunday, Lifetime has the fifth season fall premiere of Drop Dead Diva and the series premiere of Witches of East End.
Once Upon a Time (ABC): Season Premiere. Those on the Jolly Roger deal with some dangerous mermaids as they begin the search for Henry in Neverland. Henry attempts to escape from Peter Pan’s encampment. Neal has landed back in the enchanted forest and heads for his father’s home hoping to find a way to find Emma and Henry. This is a solid episode to kick off the new season. A clip show catch-up episode plays right before.
The Good Wife (CBS): Season Premiere. Alicia is working on a case to stop an execution of a convicted murderer. She continues planning her exit from the firm with Cary. Eli and Peter are putting together his new staff. Runs 61 minutes. This is a fantastic season premiere episode that points the show in a bit of a new direction that I am really looking forward to. Very few shows use their time as wisely and get as much in an episode as this show does.
The Mentalist (CBS): Season Premiere. Jane and Lisbon continue looking into the Red John case, as the show is promising to bring that storyline to an end in the first half of this season. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes. I hope they really do, it’s long overdue.
The Simpsons (FOX): Season Premiere. Lisa thinks something has happened to Homer and goes to the FBI for help. Runs 30 minutes.
Homeland (Showtime): Season Premiere. Nick Brody is still. Saul is deciding on whether to give a counterstrike on the terrorists connected to the bombing a go. Carrie is testifying before a Senate committee. The Brody family deals with the aftermath of the bombing. Plays again later. The last six episodes of season two replay earlier today. Some good performances, but after watching the first two episodes I’m not exactly digging the main storyline so far.
Masters of Sex (Showtime): Series Premiere. Dr. William Masters runs a successful medical practice and sets out to conduct a secret study of human sexuality in the 1950s. A former nightclub singer proves to be an asset to his work. Runs 65 minutes. Good with some good performances, but left me wondering what the show is going to be. This first episode covers so much time that it seems like the storyline would cover a miniseries season’s worth of episodes and not a long running series. Will have to check out a few more to see how it is going to work.
- Breaking Bad (AMC): Series Finale. The story comes to an end. Runs 75 minutes. Plays again later two times. The previous 15 episodes from the final season replay leading up to tonight’s series finale.
- Cedar Cove (Hallmark Channel): Repeat. Last night’s first season finale episode, “Stormfront,” replays.
- The Great Food Truck Race (Food Network): New. The remaining teams are sent all over the East Coast to win the grand prize. Plays again later.
- Hello Ladies (HBO): Series Premiere. Stuart Pritchard is a web designer who owns a house and has an attractive tenant and manages to get on the guest list for the opening of a night club. Starts at the half hour and runs 30 minutes.
- Revenge (ABC): Season Premiere. Emily’s resets her sights on the Graysons. Victoria’s son causes some problems. This is a really good episode that looks to get the show back to basics. I particularly love how they jettisoned much of the season two silliness in one line of dialogue in the first few minutes of the premiere.
- Strike Back (MoMAX): Repeat. This past Friday night’s episode replays. Plays again later.
- CBS has NFL action.
- ESPN2 has doubleheader WNBA Playoff games.
- FOX has NFL action today.
- NBC has Sunday Night Football with the New England Patriots at the Atlanta Falcons.
- TBS has MLB action today with the San Francisco Giants at the New York Yankees.
Sunday TV Marathons
Breaking Bad (AMC): Has all 16 final season episodes today.
The Cosby Show (TV Land): Has 12 episodes early.
Criminal Minds (A&E): Six episodes early.
CSI: Miami (WE tv): Eight episodes tonight.
Flashpoint (ION): Five episodes today.
Friday the 13th (Syfy): Is playing the movies all day.
The Golden Girls (TV Land): Has 12 episodes tonight.
Heartland (UPtv): Has 12 episodes.
Homeland (Showtime): The last six episodes of season two replay today.
Law & Order (TNT): Has nine episodes early.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (ION): Nine episodes tonight and into late night.
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (USA Network): Has 12 episodes.
Matlock (Hallmark Movie Channel): Has episodes all day.
The Parkers (Centric): Has 22 episodes.
Roseanne (WEtv): Has 12 episodes early.