News & Notes
Tonight, ABC has the 3rd season premiere of Scandal, CBS has the series premiere of The Millers, The CW has the fifth season premiere of The Vampire Diaries and the series premiere of The Originals, NBC has the series premieres of Welcome to the Family and Sean Saves the World, and PBS has the 12th season premiere of The This Old House Hour.
Over on cable, Cartoon Network has the second season premiere of Ben 10: Omniverse, Cooking Channel has the fourth fall season premiere of Eat St., and Discovery Channel has a Man, Cheetah, Wild special.
In late night, AMC has the second season finale of The Pitch.
Check out the latest TV times Three Podcast: Ep.198, “The Homeland Mother of Elementary Revolution Girl.” On this episode I am joined by @atvgeek82 and @joelkeller. We discuss the series premiere of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the season premieres of returning shows How I Met Your Mother, New Girl, The Mindy Project, Revolution, Elementary and Homeland.
Enter our New Girl Season 2 DVD giveaway.
Next Thursday, ABC has the series premiere of Once Upon a Time in Wonderland.
The Vampire Diaries (The CW): Season Premiere. Elena has spent the summer with Damon and now it’s time to move into her Whitmore College dorm with Caroline.
The Crazy Ones (CBS): New. Simon gets Sydney to on an ad campaign for a coffee shop, but things don’t go well. Zach gets jealous of Andrew after Simon asks him to do something. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 30 minutes.
The Michael J. Fox Show (NBC): New. Annie and Mike like that Eve is showing an interest in photography. Leigh and Harris have some advice for Ian and Reese. Starts a minute after the half hour following Sean Saves the World and runs 30 minutes.
Elementary (CBS): New. A mathematician that was working on deciphering a very guarded equation is found murdered. A former patient’s son comes to Watson in hopes of getting a loan. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes.
Parks & Recreation (NBC): New. Ben, Leslie and Chris go to a meeting with an Eagleton city councilor, played by Kristen Bell (Veronica Mars), to go over some financial items. Ann takes April to her vet school orientation. Ron attempts to get off the grid. Runs 31 minutes.
The Millers (CBS): Series Premiere. A brother and sister deal with their parent’s pending divorce when each parent moves in with one of their children. Starts a minute after the half hour following The Big Bang Theory and runs 30 minutes. While this first episode is not great, it also isn’t as bad as you may have heard. Mainly, I think there is some potential here, as the cast is great and it is brought to you by Greg Garcia. He having created My Name Is Earl and Raising Hope. So, I believe given a little time there could be something here.
Grey’s Anatomy (ABC): New. Derek and Meredith try to adjust to having their newborn home with them. Arizona attempts to repair things with Callie. Jackson and Owen don’t see eye-to-eye on some financial issues.
Parenthood (NBC): New. Julia finds she may have a lot in common with another parent volunteering at school. Hank unexpectedly shows up and has some advice for Sarah. Zeek has no interest in thinking about the future. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes.
- The Big Bang Theory (CBS): Season Premiere. Raj puts together a scavenger hunt for the gang, which brings out the best and worst in the group. Runs 31 minutes.
- Homeland (Showtime): Repeat. This past Sunday night’s third season premiere episode, “Tin Man Is Down,” replays.
- Masters of Sex (Showtime): Repeat. This past Sunday night’s series premiere episode, “Pilot,” replays. Plays again later.
- The Originals (The CW): Series Premiere. Klaus has returned to the French Quarter of New Orleans, the area his family built 300 years ago. A powerful witch has some news about Hayley. This is basically an extended edition of the spinoff episode we saw at the end of season four of The Vampire Diaries, except we see the events for the perspective of Elijah. It actually works very well, better than the spinoff episode, to setup what the story will be.
- Scandal (ABC): Season Premiere. Pope & Associates and the White House have to deal with the biggest scandal yet. Olivia sees what her father can do. A clip show catch-up episode covering the first two seasons plays before Grey’s Anatomy.
- Strike Back (Cinemax): Repeat. Last Friday night’s episode replays.
- Welcome to the Family (NBC): Series Premiere. A couple preparing themselves for their daughter’s departure for college finds out that she is pregnant. The family meets the boyfriend’s parents and things don’t go very well. Starts a minute after the half hour following Parks & Recreation and runs 30 minutes. Yes, this isn’t all that great either, but I really like the cast from other things and am willing to give it a few episodes. It reminds me of Reba, but not as good.
- ESPN has Thursday Night College Football action with Texas at Iowa State.
- FS1 has college football action tonight with UCLA at Utah.
- TBS has doubleheader MLB Playoff action with the Pittsburgh Pirates at the St. Louis Cardinals followed by the Los Angeles Dodgers at the Atlanta Braves.
- NFL Network has Thursday Night Football with the Buffalo Bills at the Cleveland Browns.
Thursday TV Marathons
Castle (TNT): Six episodes tonight.
House (Oxygen): Six episodes that play twice.
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (USA Network): Has 10 episodes.
Living Single (TV One): Has 12 episodes early.
NCIS: Los Angeles (USA Network): Seven episodes early.
Touched by an Angel (UPtv): Five episodes tonight.
Without a Trace (ION): Seven episodes.