News & Notes
Over on cable, Hallmark Channel has the series premiere of When Calls the Heart, HBO has the series premiere of True Detective and the third season premiere of Girls, Showtime has the fourth season premiere of Shameless, the third season premiere of House of Lies and the third season premiere of Episodes, and Travel Channel has the first season finale of America Declassified.
Last Sunday while attending New Media Expo in Las Vegas I was a guest on a special Golden Spiral Media podcast episode with Darrell Darnell where we took a look back at our favorite shows of 2013, our favorite new shows of 2013, our biggest TV disappointments of 2013 and then we took a look ahead to the shows we are most looking forward to in 2014.
The Simpsons (FOX): New. Comic Book Guy goes to Homer for some dating advice after meeting a woman that is writing an autobiographical manga. Runs 30 minutes.
The Good Wife (CBS): New. Alicia and Will each are representing half of a couple that was accused of drug smuggling and want separate juries for their clients. Cary goes after another LG client.
The Mentalist (CBS): New. The FBI team is investigating the murder of a high-tech cartographer that may have come across a spy ring. Rigby and Van Pelt seem to be on the trail of a big conspiracy.
Guy’s Grocery Games (Food Network): New. Only can foods can be used to cook an Italian feast. A race to create the ultimate hot dog dish. Plays again later.
True Detective (HBO): Series Premiere. Former Louisiana State CID partners, Rustin Cohle and Martin Hart, give statements to a pair of investigators about the murder of a prostitute that took place 17 years earlier. Plays again later. Stars Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey.
Episodes (Showtime): Season Premiere. Matt is fighting for custody of his children as the third season starts. Sean and Beverly have gotten back together. Carol is having some trouble pursuing her ambitions. Follows House of Lies and runs 30 minutes. Plays again later. So looking forward to having this show back. I love all the spoofing of the behind the scenes machinations of creating an American sitcom on a big network.
- Revenge (ABC): New. Emily is finding her new identity a struggle. Her enemies begin to make some progress. Runs 61 minutes.
- CBS has college basketball action with Iowa at Ohio State followed by NFL action with the AFC Divisional Game with the San Diego Chargers at the Denver Broncos in the second game of the day.
- ESPN has doubleheader women’s college basketball action with Purdue at Penn State followed by Tennessee at Vanderbilt.
- FOX has NFL action with the NFC Divisional Game with the San Francisco 49ers at the Carolina Panthers.
- FS1 has tripleheader college basketball action with Southern Mississippi at Tulsa, Colorado at Washington and Stanford at Oregon.
- NBC Sports has college basketball action with La Salle at Duquesne.
- Psych (USA Network): Repeat. This past Wednesday’s eighth season premiere episode, “Lock, Stock, Some Smoking Barrels and Burton Guster’s Goblet of Fire,” replays.
- Ravenswood (ABC Family): Repeat. This past Tuesday’s episode, “Revival,” replays.
Sunday TV Marathons
Law & Order (TNT): Seven episodes early.
Law & Order (WE tv): Nine episodes tonight.
Leverage (ION): Has 13 episodes.
Men at Work (TBS): Has 10 episodes in late night.
NCIS (USA Network): Has 14 episodes.
The Parkers (Centric): Has 20 episodes.
Roseanne (WE tv): Has 12 episodes today.