News & Notes
Over on cable, SundanceTV has the second season premiere of Rectify and Syfy has the second season premiere of Defiance and the series premiere of Dominion.
Listen to the latest TV times Three Podcast: Ep.231, “Playing the Undateable Orphan Game.” On this episode I am joined by @mytakeontv and @raelee. We talk a little news and discuss recent episodes of Playing House, Undateable and Orphan Black, the fourth season finale of Game of Thrones, and the series premiere of Murder in the First. Lastly, we make some TV recommendations.
Defiance (Syfy): Season Premiere. Nolan is still searching for Irissa and ends up heading back to Defiance. The Earth Republic has installed a charismatic mayor in Defiance that only wants to move himself up. Plays again later. While I feel like they are spinning their wheels with the overall story and what is up with Irissa, the series is still pretty good and makes a solid return tonight. But, I want more about the big mystery and we don’t really get much in the first part of season two. Are you looking forward to the show’s return tonight?
Gang Related (FOX): New. Carlos tries to make a deal to taint a competitor’s drug supply, but the plan backfires.
Game of Thrones (HBO): Repeat. This past Sunday night’s episode, “The Children,” replays. Runs 70 minutes. Plays previously this evening on HBO Signature.
- Dominion (Syfy): Series Premiere. It is 25 years after the events of the movie Legion and focuses on the walled city of Vega, formerly Las Vegas, and the residents and family running the city. It looks as though the angels are rebuilding up to begin attacking again and some hope that a chosen one will rise to save them. Runs 90 minutes. Plays twice. There are some interesting ideas here, but it feels very Shakespearian with warring ruling families, forbidden love, chosen ones and a thousand other things we’ve seen before. There may be some ongoing potential here, but tonight’s pilot is mediocre TV that didn’t leave me excited to see more. Also, felt like you needed to have seen Legion, which I have not. Will you be checking this out tonight?
- Penny Dreadful (Showtime): Repeat. This past Sunday night’s episode, “What Death Can Join Together,” replays.
- Undateable (NBC): New. Two episodes play tonight. In the first, Justin isn’t sure what to make of things when Nicki wants to spice things up. In the second, Danny deals with Leslie’s ex-husband shows up unexpectedly. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 59 minutes.
- ESPN2 has First Round coverage of the U.S. Women’s Open golf tournament.
- MLB Network has a game today and another tonight.
- Continuum (Syfy): Repeat. Last Friday’s episode, “3 Minutes to Midnight,” replays.
- Halt and Catch Fire (AMC): Repeat. This past Sunday’s episode, “High Plains Hardware,” replays.
- Murder in the First (TNT): Repeat. This past Monday’s episode, “The City of Sisterly Love,” replays.
Thursday TV Marathons
Castle (TNT): Seven episodes tonight.
Flashpoint (ION): Five episodes tonight and into late night.
Ghost Whisperer (ION): Six episodes today.
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (USA Network): Nine episodes today.
Living Single (TV One): Has 12 episodes early.
Modern Family (USA Network): Has 10 episodes tonight.