Logo Design Concepts

by Jason the TVaholic on April 5, 2009

I recently ordered a logo to be designed for TVaholic.com from The Logo Company. They sent back six design concepts. You can see the three that had something I liked about them below, but they weren’t exactly what I had asked for. I wanted the TV graphic to be more incorporated into the logo with the text, so they sent six more for consideration. You can see the three from the second batch that I liked something about below, as well. I’m looking for a little feedback. Which one do you like? Or, what elements of each one do you like? I know which one I like, but another perspective can be helpful too.

First Batch of Logo Concepts

TVaholic.com Logo Design Concepts Batch 1

Second Batch of Logo Concepts

TVaholic.com Logo Design Concepts Batch 2

Final Logo

Well, just look up at the top left corner of the page and you will see it.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

1 theTVaddict April 5, 2009 at 3:04 pm

My thoughts

Option 1, LOVE IT! Although I’d be curious to see what the clock looks if it were centered on the TV.

Option 2, While nice, I think it’s way too busy with too many elements (kid, TV, chair, too much) Also, having the “.com” on top of the “TV”, doesn’t read properly.

Option 3, boring. Also hard to read

2 J. Wong April 5, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I think the third one looks nice. Simple and it matches the colors on the Web site.

On a side note, number two has a typo, so if you go with that, make sure that the designer fixes it.

3 J. Wong April 5, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Or maybe number two doesn’t have a typo… could it be a play on words? It’s a little hard to read with the wording, though.

4 Jason the TVaholic April 5, 2009 at 4:05 pm

J., the text in both 1 and 2 have something wrong with them, but I will make sure that it is correct in any final version. Surprised the editor in you missed the missing word in the first one.

5 Jason the TVaholic April 5, 2009 at 4:12 pm

theTVaddict, The first one is the one I like best as well, although it’s not quite what I had asked for. Wanted the “TV” part of TVaholic to be incorporated into a TV graphic, not have a TV graphic next to it. But, I like the text design/font choice and the cord underlining it.

6 J. Wong April 5, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Oh, I thought “Prime Primetime” was a play on words, so that’s why I re-commented about the second one being a play on words.

All three are neat designs. Looking forward to see which one you choose!

7 LillyKat April 7, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Hey Jason,

I know this is kind of late, but I guess I’m in the minority because I actually like #2 and #3 the best.

#2 has some fun to it with the cartoon guy on the couch; it makes a statement; is something I can remember; if I see that, I know it’s your site.

#3 looks very formal – almost corporate – which is good if that is the look you’re going for; definitely clean.

#1 seems almost plain, and it has a strange look to me with that clock graphic. At first I couldn’t tell what it was – it almost looked like a bug. LOL! I actually think if you took that off the logo, it might look stronger.

But that’s logo marketing for ya’ – you can put logos in a room of 100 people and we’ll all see them differently. LOL!

Hope you can settle on one you like. :)

8 Jason the TVaholic April 7, 2009 at 4:57 pm

LillyKat, I like the second one, but since I don’t focus on The Disney Channel or Nickelodeon, it seemed to juvenile to me. The third one grows on me the more I look at it, but am still surprised by the number of people that responded here or on Twitter that like it so much. My favorite is the first one, but had the same reaction with the clock thing. I’ve had them go back to the drawing board, so to speak, since none of these were quite what I originally requested. I want the “TV” part of the text to incorporated into the graphic. Thanks for your response.

9 LillyKat April 7, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Good point re: #2 perhaps being too cartoony.

I definitely think #1 can be cleaned up a bit to work the way you want it. Maybe have the folks put the “TV” text on the actual screen of the television graphic, rotating the “TV” text slightly counter-clockwise so that it’s on a slight upward angle, then adjusting the “aholic” part to be flush alongside the TV set …? That would put the “TV” text as part of the graphic without changing the whole look/feel (since you like it). Might have to play with colors to make sure it stands out.

(If that sounds too specific, I apologize as I used to work in a marketing department, and the time we would spend nitpicking logos would drive me crazy – LOL!)

In any event, I think you have some good ones here!

10 Patty May 3, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I really like the 2nd batch especially the #2 I think. It might be the yellow makes it pop more.

11 J. Wong May 3, 2009 at 4:16 pm

For me, it’s a close one between #1 and #2 in the second batch. For the sake of being decisive, I’ll go with #2. I like how “.com” is below “TVaholic.”

12 Jason the TVaholic May 3, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Patty, I like the colors of #2 in the second batch as well. That is the hardest part, trying to pick one based on mainly the design and then tweaking the colors until it pops.

13 Jason the TVaholic May 3, 2009 at 7:08 pm

J., As I mentioned in the above comment to Patty, picking just based on design is tough. There are items from all three of them that I like, but I have to choose one to move forward with. Then I can make changes to it, like colors, etc. I too like the .com underneath.

14 Jessica Rae May 4, 2009 at 5:51 am

I’m totally late, but of the second batch I love the first and the third. I’m sure whatever you pick will be awesome. Although number three of the first batch is also cool, imho.

Our TV blogs? Should totally do a link exchange!

15 LillyKat May 4, 2009 at 9:38 am

Hey Jason,

The second batch came out really nice! I like #2 and #3. Close call. I’ll go with #3 as I think the “TV” and “aholic” text are very clean and easy to read. I like #2, but the “a” in “aholic” is a little bit lost in the overlapped blue of the TV screen. I’m sure that could be fixed or tinkered if you happen to go with #2 (as several folks seem to like that one!).

Looking good!