How Did the Top 8 Perform on American Idol Season 6?
It is a sad state of affairs when the person who shouldnâ€™t have even made the Top 12, doesnâ€™t have the worst performance of the Top 8. Overall, it was a so-so night. Letâ€™s just say that the Latin flavor of the night was not well suited to most of the singers that are left in the competition.
To help the gang of eight with their songs this week was J.LO, Jennifer Lopez. I thought she did pretty good letting them know what they needed to do to pull off this style of music. Unfortunately, most werenâ€™t able to perform on stage as well as they did at the piano in rehearsal.
So, what did they sing and how did they do?
American Idol Season 6 â€“ Top 8 Performance Rankings:
- Blake Lewis â€“ This is the first time a guy has had the performance of the week. He was great with his rendition of â€œI Need To Know,â€ which is sung by Marc Anthony. Randy thought it was the â€œbest song choice of the nightâ€ and that it was â€œhot.â€ Paula thought it was a â€œsmart performance,â€ while Simon gave it the rating of â€œbest performance so far.â€ This is always nice to hear when you are singing near the end of the show, as he was in the seventh spot.
- LaKisha Jones â€“ She was the second one to sing and chose â€œConga.â€ She was dressed in fiery red and did her best to move to the beat. It was pretty good. Randy thought is â€œwas hot.â€ Paula thought she looked â€œlovelyâ€ but didnâ€™t â€œfeel it as much as Randy.â€ She also thought it was a â€œvery safeâ€ performance. Simon actually agreed with Paula that is was â€œquite a safe songâ€ choice.
- Melinda Doolittle â€“ I think she may have found a hairstyle she should stick with, as she looked really good last night with the curls. She was first on stage and sang, â€œSway.â€ Randy thought it was â€œanother solid performance.â€ Paula said it was â€œsultryâ€ and â€œsmooth.â€ Simon finally found something to criticize. He â€œdidnâ€™t like it.â€ Thought it a bit too â€œcabaretâ€ or â€œloungeâ€ singer.
- Jordin Sparks â€“ Was the sixth to sing and went with â€œRhythm Is Gonna Get You.â€ She did well once again, but I donâ€™t feel any connection with her performances. She got raves from Randy, who should just sign her right now and head for the studio and start making albums already. He said it was the â€œYo factor on blast.â€ Paula thought she was â€œauthenticâ€ and â€œadorable.â€ Simon didnâ€™t like that he wasnâ€™t seeing any â€œprogressionâ€ in her performances.
- Chris Richardson â€“ I thought he started off really weak, but then pulled it out at the end. He sang, â€œSmoothâ€ and was the third to hit the stage. Randy thought it was â€œvery cool,â€ while Paula found the performance â€œhot.â€ Simon thought it felt â€œcontemporary.â€
- Sanjaya Malakar â€“ This is going to make me as sick to type it, as Simon was to say that his performance â€œwasnâ€™t horrible,â€ but it wasnâ€™t. I wouldnâ€™t go as far as Randy did by saying that it â€œwas actually really good.â€ It was good enough to be not the worst of the night and probably his best. Paula thought it was â€œvery nice.â€ He was the last one to sing last night and went with â€œBesame Mucho.â€ Maybe it was that he was singing mostly in Spanish, which made it sound better.
- Phil Stacey â€“ Thought he would have been the one leaving the show last week, but this week could seal his fate. His performance of â€œMaria, Mariaâ€ â€œdidnâ€™t quite connect with the emotion,â€ according to Randy. Paula thought it was a â€œreal good vocal.â€ Simon told him that there was â€œno originalityâ€ and â€œnothing to get excited about.â€ He was the fifth to sing. The quick anecdote about his daughterâ€™s new stuffed animal cow and how she calls it â€œSimon Cowâ€ was pretty funny.
- Haley Scarnato â€“ Had the worst performance of the night. Her rendition of â€œTurn the Beat Aroundâ€ was not good. Simon finally verbalized what I have thought her strategy has become, since the voice isnâ€™t up to par with most of the rest of the singers. That being to â€œwear as least amount of clothes as possible.â€ He forgot the shake and shimmy aspect of what has been working for her. Unfortunately, she forgot the shake and shimmy part of the strategy and that could be the last we see of her on the show. Randy thought it was â€œreally karaokeâ€ and Paula thought she â€œhad fun up there.â€
My bottom three would be Haley, Phil and Sanjaya, but I think this week the bottom three will end up being Haley, Phil and Chris with Haley taking her hot pants and heading home.
Who do you think had the best performance of the Top 8 on American Idol Season 6? Who will be going home?