News & Notes
On cable tonight, E! has the series premiere of Botched, FX has the series premiere of Tyrant, SpikeTV has an I am Steve McQueen special, TBS has the third season premiere of Sullivan & Son, TLC has the the fourth season premiere of Next Great Baker, truTV has the series premiere of Motor City Masters, and USA Network has the fifth season premiere of Covert Affairs.
Pretty Little Liars (ABC Family): New. Alison has to deal with the death of her mother. Hanna and Aria want to figure things out with Ezra and Mona, who know the real truth behind her disappearance. Spencer and Emily look into Jason’s past whereabouts. Plays again later two times. Last week’s episode, “Whirly Girl,” replays right before.
Chasing Life (ABC Family): New. April hears some things about Dominic, which has her questioning the potential relationship. April takes on a new assignment at work. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “Help Wanted,” replays earlier this evening.
Covert Affairs (USA Network): Season Premiere. Annie and Augie are thinking about their future. Calder and Joan learn who the new DCS will be. Arthur looks to the private sector to continue his career. Starts a minute after the hour and runs 62 minutes. Plays again later.
- Penny Dreadful (Showtime): Repeat. This past Sunday night’s episode, “Posession,” replays. Plays again later.
- Perception (TNT): New. Pierce helps Moretti investigate who killed the prosecutor that died in the middle of court. Stars a minute after the hour and runs 61 minutes. Plays again later.
- Rizzoli & Isles (TNT): New. Rizzoli and the squad work a case while planning Det. Frost’s funeral. Runs 61 minutes. Plays again later. Last week’s episode, “A New Day,” replays right before.
- Royal Pains (USA Network): New. Evan works to get Eddie to have a relationship with Emma. Hank works with a private detective. Divya needs a nanny. Runs 61 minutes. Plays again later.
- Tyrant (FX): Series Premiere. A California pediatrician, who is the second son of a Middle Eastern dictator, reluctantly decides to take his American family back home after years away to attend the wedding of his nephew. Runs 82 minutes. Plays three times. I very much like the idea of this show, but found some problems with the setup. There is only a show if the guy goes and then stays in his home country with his family. Yet, there are just a couple of small things he could have done that would have solved the problem that puts him in the situation to stay. Maybe this will change in episode two, if they somehow give me a good reason for him staying. They don’t in tonight’s premiere. It feels like there may be a good show here a few episodes from now if you conveniently forget how he originally gets there. Will you be checking out tonight’s premiere?
- ESPN has early round coverage of Wimbledon early and later Game 2 of the College World Series Finals tonight.
- ESPN2 has early round coverage of Wimbledon today.
- MLB Network has a game tonight.
- Defiance (Syfy): Repeat. Last Thursday night’s second season premiere episode, “The Opposite of Hallelujah,” replays.
- Dominion (Syfy): Repeat. Last Thursday night’s series premiere episode, “Pilot,” replays. Runs 90 minutes.
Tuesday TV Marathons
Criminal Minds (ION): Has 10 episodes.
The Jeffersons (TV One): Has 12 episodes early.
Law & Order (WEtv): Has 11 episodes tonight and into late night.
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (USA Network): Has 11 episodes.
Star Trek: The Next Generation (BBC America): Six episodes tonight that play twice.