Once again the ladies performed great and the guys, not so much. I figured after the last three weeks of performances that the guys really needed to step it up, if they were going to compete with the gals. They had not done nearly as well as the ladies. Given the theme of last nightâ€™s show, I thought they would have even more trouble staying in the game.
It turned out that was the case, as the women overwhelmingly outshined the men while sing the songs of Diana Ross. She was their mentor this week and gave each of them some pretty good advice. Who better to get a little help from than someone who has spent four decades singing hit after hit.
The judging was particularly harsh tonight. Every time a performer on American Idol takes the stages, they tell them they need to â€œown it,â€ â€œmake it their own,â€ or show some â€œoriginality.â€ When they do, like last night, they tell them when singing a classic you donâ€™t have to change it, just sing it the way it is meant to be sung. This has got to be totally confusing to the singers being judged at times. Do I make it my own? Or, do I sing it in its original form? Was that a copycat performance? Or, was that a mess and I should have just left it alone? What do you think about this judging paradox the contestants have to deal with?
American Idol Season 6 â€“ Top 12 Performance Rankings:
- LaKisha Jones â€“ She sang â€œGod Bless the Childâ€ and really controlled her voice beautifully. Randy thought it was the â€œperfect song choiceâ€ and that she was â€œsensational.â€ Paula thought she is a â€œbeautiful performer.â€ Simon talked about how there are people who got it and people who donâ€™t and told LaKisha, â€œYouâ€™ve got it.â€ She really does and was outstanding once again.
- Melinda Doolittle â€“ A really close second, as she sang, â€œHome.â€ Randy thought it was â€œreally, really strongâ€ and that it â€œwas hot.â€ Paula said it gave her â€œone big goose bump.â€ Simon thought she sounded like a â€œyoung Gladys Knight.â€
- Jordin Sparks â€“ The young dynamo sang last. Her song choice was â€œIf We Hold On Together.â€ She really closed the show out nicely. Randy is â€œso very impressedâ€ by her at such a young age. He thought after that performance that it was now a â€œthree girl race.â€ Paula told her that you â€œdrew me in right away.â€ Simon, while thinking it was a bit â€œgooey,â€ thought it was a â€œvery, very good vocalâ€ and that she had a â€œshot of being in the finals.â€
- Stephanie Edwards â€“ She sang â€œLove Hangover.â€ It was very good. Randy thought she had a â€œstrong finishâ€ and Paula thought she needed to â€œstriveâ€ for more in her performances. Simon told her that it â€œwasnâ€™t your best.â€
- Gina Glocksen â€“ Sang â€œLove Childâ€ and did a good job. Randy told her that it â€œwasnâ€™t my favorite from you.â€ Paula told her she is â€œbetter than you did tonight.â€ Simon thought it was a â€œmiddle of the packâ€ performance.
- Blake Lewis â€“ Randy said he â€œBlake-isedâ€ â€œYou Keep Me Hangin On.â€ I thought it sounded good, but his vocal could have been better. He sounded better in the clip when he was singing for Ms. Ross than he did on stage. Simon said he â€œdidnâ€™t get that.â€ This is one of the times in the night where a performer tried to make the song â€œhis ownâ€ and the judges didnâ€™t like it.
- Phil Stacey â€“ Had his best vocal performance of the competition, so far. He sang, â€œMake You Love Me.â€ Randy thought the â€œvocals were hot.â€ Paula thought the vocal was â€œreally goodâ€ and â€œstrong.â€ Simon thought it was a â€œreally good choice of song.â€
- Chris Sligh â€“ He gave â€œEndless Loveâ€ a Coldplay type sound in the arrangement he worked out. He sounded good vocally, but the song as a whole was not so great. Randy thought it was â€œa mess.â€ Simon thought he â€œmurdered the arrangement.â€ This was the other person to try and do something different and according to the judges it didnâ€™t work.
- Chris Richardson â€“ I donâ€™t get this Justin Timberlake wannabe. He has the same set of dance moves for every performance and his vocals are just not my cup of tea. He sang, â€œThe Boss.â€ Randy thought he â€œover did itâ€ and that his performance was â€œhalf good, half bad.â€ I would have said about a quarter good and three-quarters bad. Paula thought he did a â€œgreat jobâ€ while Simon thought it was a â€œdreadful vocal.â€
- Haley Scarnato â€“ She sang, â€œMissing Youâ€ and missed a few words during the song. She covered the miss a lot better than Brandon Rogers did, but will cover that in a bit. Randy thought it was a â€œvaliant effort,â€ but a bit â€œpitchy.â€ Paula told her â€œyou look lovely.â€ When Paula comments on your looks or outfit first, this is not a good sign. Simon thought she showed â€œreal presence.â€ Except for forgetting the words, it may have been her best performance of the competition. She really finished the song quite strong after the trouble in the middle.
- Sanjaya Malakar â€“ Actually didnâ€™t have the worst performance of the night. He sang, â€œAinâ€™t No Mountain High Enough.â€ Randy thought â€œit wasnâ€™t very good,â€ but that he would win â€œHair Idolâ€ with the curly locks he was sporting last night. Simon thought he is â€œvery brave.â€ It wasnâ€™t very good, but Brandon may have saved him yet another week.
- Brandon Rogers â€“ He was the first one up last night and sang, â€œYou Canâ€™t Hurry Love.â€ It was not a good start to the show. Randy thought that he had â€œreverted to a background singerâ€ while Simon thought he sounded like a â€œbackground singer for a background singer.â€ He muddled through and at one point forgot the words. He was not able to cover it at all and with the noticeable silent pause in the song, everybody in the place and at home new it.
As much as I donâ€™t think Sanjaya should have even made the Top 12, he should stick around at least one more week and Brandon should hurry on off into the background. My bottom three is Brandon, Sanjaya and Haley. It should definitely be one of those three that gets cut.
Who do you think should leave after last nightâ€™s American Idol Season 6 Top 12 performances?