News & Notes
Tonight, CBS has the return of Rules of Engagement, The CW has the return of One Tree Hill, and FOX has the return of Bones, all with new episodes. Also, FOX has the first season finale of New Amsterdam.
Over on cable, CMT has the series premiere of Can You Duet? and the 2008 CMT Music Awards special, MTV has the series premiere of The Paper, and VH1 has the season premiere of Ego Trip’s Miss Rap Supreme.
In returning show news, The CW has Gossip Girl making its post strike return next Monday night.
The Big Bang Theory (CBS): New. A 15-year-old physics prodigy is getting under the skin of Sheldon and Leonard, so they set out to do something about it.
How I Met Your Mother (CBS): New. Marshall is verbally emasculated at his corporate law job and starts to rethink his decision.
New Amsterdam (FOX): Season Finale. John is recovering from his gunshot wound and he and Eva are investigating a case of a suspected drowning. John has flashbacks to his life in the 1920s and is questioning whether Sarah really is the one. Really hope this isn’t the series finale and it gets another season. The weaving of the past with his present makes for interesting storytelling. Would you like to see this back next fall?
Medium (NBC): New. Joe’s invention is getting some interest from an investor. Allison is having dreams that lead her to believe someone is back in town for something other than why they say.
Bones (FOX): New. The team investigates after a motocross rider is found dead in a hot springs. Dr. Sweets wants Brennan and Booth to accompany him on a double date.
Two and a Half Men (CBS): New. Charlie goes on a double date with Jake.
Samantha Who? (ABC): New. Andrea really likes a rich guy, but he seems to have a thing for Sam.
CSI: Miami (CBS): Repeat. The team investigates the death of a nanny at a party, in this episode from earlier this season.
Greek (ABC Family): New. The battle between Omega Chi and Kappa Tau escalates. Frannie might be able to get back into the sorority because of a sacred ceremony. Plays again late night tomorrow and next Monday before a new episode. Last week’s episode plays right before.
Dirty Jobs (Discovery Channel): New. Mike checks out some filthy New York City jobs. Plays again later.
Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives (Food Network): New. Guy checks out joints the provide a little “Something Different.” A repeat “Viewers Choice” episode follows. Both play again later.
- Gossip Girl (The CW): Repeat. It is “A Thin Line Between Chuck and Nate,” as the last pre-strike episode replays. Next week is the return of new episodes.
- Heavyweights (Food Network): New. Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks are profiled. Plays again later.
- The Memory Keeper’s Daughter (Lifetime): Released 2008. Based on the by Kim Edwards. It stars Dermot Mulroney (My Best Friends Wedding), Emily Watson (Breaking the Waves) and Gretchen Mol (The Notorious Life of Betty Paige). It is the story of Dr. David Henry, played by Mulroney, who has to deliver his own baby and it turns out they have twins. It is 1964 and when a second baby is born, he notices that it is different and has what we become known as Down syndrome. He decides right there to have the nurse, played by Watson, take the baby to an institution and tells his wife, played by Mol, that the baby died at birth. Over time, this secret tears his family apart, but off in another town, the nurse decided to take the daughter and raise her as her own and finds much love and joy in doing so. This is a great movie, as the acting and the flow of the story are outstanding and a cut above your standard made-for-TV movie. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this touching story. It premiered last Saturday night.
- One Tree Hill (The CW): New. Lucas is trying to get his life back in order. Peyton has an old friend come for a visit.
- Rules of Engagement (CBS): New. The two couples take a trip together, but have to sit through a timeshare pitch to get a discount.
- Unwrapped (Food Network): New. Some “Old School” snacks are profiled. A repeat episode plays right before. Both play again later.
- ESPN has Monday Night Baseball with the Boston Red Sox at the Cleveland Indians.
- ESPN2 has Arena Football action.
- NBA TV has the Houston Rockets at the Utah Jazz.
- Versus has doubleheader NHL playoff action.
- The Closer (TNT): Repeat. Season one continues replaying with episode 10, “The Butler Did It.”
- The Riches (FX): Repeat. Last Tuesday’s episode, “Slums of Bayou Hills,” replays.
Bravo has five hours of The Biggest Loser episodes.
Oxygen has 11 episodes of Living Single.
TNT has five episodes of Law & Order tonight.