News & Notes
Tonight, NBC has the Summer Olympics 2008 Closing Ceremony.
Over on cable, A&E has the third season finale of Gene Simmons Family Jewels, Animal Planet has an Animal Witness special about the Michael Vick case, HBO has the miniseries finale of Generation Kill, Spike has the TV movie premiere of S.I.S., and USA has the seventh season finale of Law & Order: Criminal Intent.
The Simpsons (FOX): Repeat. Homer and Marge get stranded in the Tunnel of Love at an amusement park after Bart plays a prank, in “Love, Springfieldian Style” from this past season.
Aliens in America (The CW): Repeat. Justin and Raja both end up being the school mascot, in “My Musky, Myself.”
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (FOX): Repeat. John and Cameron end up in a dangerous spot on a school trip and Derek and Sarah try doing business with a less than honorable businessman, in the first season finale episode, “What He Beheld.” Season two premieres Monday, September 8th.
Desperate Housewives (ABC): Repeat. Lynette finally finds out who it really was that set the fire at Rick’s place and Bree gives Orson and ultimatum, in “Opening Doors” from this past season.
Summer Olympics 2008 (NBC): Closing Ceremony. Also, the men’s volley ball final. Runs four hours. I pretty much watch no Olympic coverage whatsoever, which is weird for me. Not sure why they didn’t hold much interest for me this go around.
Food Network Challenge (Food Network): New. Four chefs compete in a catering for a gala event battle. Plays again later.
Law & Order: Criminal Intent (USA): Season Finale. Goren finds a picture at his mother’s grave and it leads him and Eames down a dangerous path into his past. Plays again later.
Mad Men (AMC): New. Don is dealing with issues regarding his wife and some TV comedian. Joan gets Don a new secretary. Plays twice and again later.
- Army Wives (Lifetime): Repeats. Two episodes replay, “The Hero Returns” and “Uncharted Territory.” Two more episodes, “Duplicity” and last week’s “Mohters & Wives” play later. There will be a nine episode marathon of episodes #3-#11 from this season on Labor Day.
- Cold Case (CBS): Repeat. Miller takes another look into the case of two murders that happened at the exact same time, but both remain unsolved, in “8:03 AM” from season four.
- Generation Kill (HBO): New. Part seven of seven. Bravo has reached Baghdad and First Recon is sending out sporadic patrols to gather information in the city. Runs 75 minutes. Plays again later.
- S.I.S. (Spike): TV Movie Premiere. A secret unit of cops in Los Angeles track down the bad guys. Plays again later.
- Skins (BBC America): New. Jal needs to practice her clarinet skills for the Young Musician of the Year competition, but her family keeps getting in her way. The second of the two episodes from last week’s two-hour premiere, “Cassie,” replays right before. Both play again later. If you’ve ever wondered what a teen drama might look like if it were shot for HBO or Showtime, then you should check this show out.
- ABC has the Little League World Series championship game.
- ESPN has the Little League World Series consolation game early and later Sunday Night Baseball with the Los Angeles Dodgers at the Philadelphia Phillies.
- Golf Channel has Champions Tour action with the final round of the Boeing Classic from the Jack Nicklaus designed TPC Snoqualmie Ridge in Snoqualmie, WA.
- NFL Network has preseason football action with the Buffalo Bills at the Indianapolis Colts.
- TBS has MLB action with the Tampa Bay Rays at the Chicago White Sox.
- Breaking Bad (AMC): Repeat. Episode five “Grey Matter” replays. Episode six plays next week.
A&E has 12 episodes of Gene Simmons Family Jewels.
Cartoon Network has 26 episodes of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? starting early.
E! has the five-part 101 Most Unforgettable SNL Moments.
MTV2 has six episodes of From G’s to Gents.
Oxygen has five episodes of The Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency early.
Spike has seven episodes of UFC Unleashed leading up to tonight’s TV movie premiere of S.I.S.
TLC has seven episodes of The New Detectives.
TNT has The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
USA has 12 episodes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent including tonight’s season finale.
VH1 has seven episodes of I Love the New Millennium.
WE has seven episodes of Bridezillas.
Just two brief suggestions for improving a fabulous service to TV-holics like myself.
First, might you include PBS information, especially evening programming. I would love to see your take on Mystery! appearing on Masterpiece. Now that A&E is anything but arts or entertainment, Mystery! is the only way to see first-class British mysteries (e.g., Foyle’s War, Inspector Lynley, and most importantly, Inspector Morse!) without taking a second mortgage on my house for expanded cable service.
Second, might your sports coverage be expanded to include real and/or international auto racing? For example, I do not remember seeing any information about Formula 1, Rolex Series, ALMS, or Indy Car competition. Nothing against those good old boys with their beer bellies and their double-wides, but there is more to racing than left turns (i.e. Nascar).
Thanks for your kind attention.