News & Notes
Tonight, ABC has NBA Finals action and a Jimmy Kimmel Live special.
Over on cable, ABC Family has the TV movie premiere of The Circuit, Discovery Channel has the series premiere of When We Left Earth: The NASA Mission, HGTV has the third season premiere of Design Star, History Channel has the first season finale of Ax Men, Lifetime has the second season premiere of Army Wives, Oxygen has the first season finale of Captured, Showtime has the one-hour second season finale of This American Life, TLC has the series premiere of Your Place or Mine?, and USA has the post writers’ strike return of Law & Order: Criminal Intent season seven.
For more on what’s coming this summer, check out the Ultimate Guide to the Summer TV Schedule – 2008.
NBA Finals (ABC): Game 2. The Boston Celtics beat the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 1. Can they do it again or will Kobe and the Lakers play some second half defense and actually make some baskets? The game starts around 9:00 p.m. ET with a 30-minute pre-game show. A special Jimmy Kimmel Live: Game Night will air either before or after the game depending on your time zone. Like here in Seattle, Jimmy will be on after the game.
Million Dollar Password (CBS): New. This week fomer talk show host Rosie O’Donnell and pro skateboarder Tony Hawk try to help people win money. Last week’s episode was pretty good. Could have done without the too high tech set, but the game is still fun. Especially, when they show you five of six words you have to get, you decide to go, but have to pass on one and the sixth word they didn’t show you is “Fiasco” and you can’t come up with anything and lose lots of money. The people choosing the words have a great sense of humor, cause that’s just funny, of course, only if it’s not happening to you.
Cold Case (CBS): Repeat. The fatal shooting of a college student some 25 years ago is looked into again, in “Justice” from this past season.
The Unit (CBS): Repeat. Bob has to make a tough decision while in the field, in “Bedfellows” from season two.
Food Network Challenge (Food Network): Repeat. Chefs compete in a “Luau Beach BBQ” challenge. Plays again later.
Iron Chef America (Food Network): New. Chef Marcus Samuelsson challenges Iron Chef Bobby Flay. Plays again later.
Army Wives (Lifetime): Season Premiere. Everyone is struggling in the aftermath of the bombing at the Hump Bar. It plays four times and again tomorrow night. You can check out some photos from and read a review of tonight’s episode.
- The Circuit (ABC Family): TV Movie Premiere. A female racecar driver competes against her father and her new boyfriend. Stars Michelle Trachtenburg (Gossip Girl, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Billy Campbell (The 4400) and Drew Fuller (Army Wives). Runs two hours. Plays again later and again next Saturday afternoon. You can check out a review over at Daemon’s TV.
- In Plain Sight (USA): New. Mary is trying to protect a 10-year-old kid from being sent back to his father, who happens to be one of the biggest drug dealers in the Midwest. Plays again later. Last week’s “Pilot” episode is available as a free download at Amazon Unbox.
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent (USA): New. The show makes its post writers’ strike return to finish out its seventh season over the summer. It has been picked up for an eighth. In tonight’s episode, Goren is trying to get back in good with the police department after being suspended, but may be in the process of being setup by a fellow cop. Plays again later.
- The Next Food Network Star (Food Network): New. They are down to nine now that the never funny Cory Kahaney was sent home last week. She sure didn’t show her standup skills at all and practically froze every time she was put in front of a camera. This week, the contestants have to prepare a meal in cramped quarters on a train. Plays again later. Check out bios and photos of the people competing for their own show.
- This American Life (Showtime): Season Finale. This week’s topic is “John Smith.” Stories about people all named John Smith. Runs 60 minutes. Plays again later.
- ABC has NBA Finals action. See Prime Picks above for more info.
- ESPN has Sunday Night Baseball with the Chicago Cubs at the Los Angeles Dodgers.
- Golf Channel has LPGA action with the final round of the McDonald’s Championship.
- NBC has coverage of the French Open tennis tournament.
- TBS has MLB action with the Philadelphia Phillies at the Atlanta Braves.
- TNT has NASCAR racing with the Sprint Cup: Pocono 500.
- Battlestar Galactica (Sci Fi): Repeat. Last Friday’s episode, “Hub,” replays.
Bravo has five episodes of Top Chef early.
Discovery Channel has nine episodes of Dirty Jobs.
History Channel has 11 episodes of Ice Road Truckers.
Style has 13 episodes of Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?
TV Land has 10 episodes of Hogan’s Heroes early.
USA has 10 episodes of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
WE has five episodes of Rich Bride, Poor Bride early.
Oh, man, wasn’t that brutal last week on Password?? NPH was amazing at the game and I felt so freakin bad for him and the contestant! :(
Jenny, It was brutal. It was a total setup. After seeing the five words, I think I might have gone for it. They looked so easy, but the unseen sixth was just too perfect.