The Answer: A whole lot better than the guys did. The girls stepped up once again and thoroughly stomped on the boys. The best performance last night from the guys might have garnered 5th place on the galsâ€™ side of things.
American Idol Season 6 â€“ Top 8 Women Performance Rankings:
- Melinda Doolittle â€“ She had the performance of the night. It was very reminiscent of LaKisa Jonesâ€™ performance in the Top 12 girls show a couple of weeks ago. Melinda came out and took control of the stage and put everybody on notice that she has what it takes. Randy thought she is â€œready to go in the studio and make a recordâ€ while Paula thought she was â€œbrilliantâ€ and â€œfantastic.â€ Simon thought it was â€œa million percent weâ€™ll see you next week.â€ Thought we would want to know that she has to keep things even, like if she touches something cold with one hand she needs to touch something cold with the other one. Sounds like she would get along well with Monk.
- LaKisha Jones â€“ She and Melinda have the two best voices in the competition to this point. Randy thought it was â€œanother great performance by the great LaKisha.â€ Simon liked her â€œpassionâ€ and thought she â€œlooked beautifulâ€ tonight as opposed to last weekâ€™s orange outfit he didnâ€™t like. Thought we would want to know that she is scared of pretty much any kind of animal.
- Gina Glocksen â€“ Randy said that finally â€œthe real Gina comes out.â€ I thought so too. She came out to rock the house. Paula gave her some advice to not â€œover sing,â€ but thought that this is â€œthe style that suits you best.â€ Simon told her that it was the â€œfirst time you looked comfortable,â€ but she needed to watch the screaming instead of singing with a performance like that. Thought we would want to know that she carries a lucky troll on a string wherever she goes.
- Stephanie Edwards â€“ Randy gave her an â€œA for a valiant effort,â€ but thought it was â€œpitchyâ€ in places. Paula thought she was â€œdarn near flawlessâ€ and Simon thought she had â€œ100% done enough to sing yourself into next week.â€ Thought we would want to know that she was very, very shy as a child.
- Sabrina Sloan â€“ Randy thought she had â€œanother good performanceâ€ while Paula thought she â€œcan sing, sing, sing.â€ Simon thought she is a â€œgreat singer,â€ but that she is â€œlacking emotion.â€ Thought we would want to know that she wanted to be the next Katie Couric when she was in High School.
- Jordin Sparks â€“ Opened up the show well with some energy. Randy didnâ€™t think it was her â€œbestâ€ while Simon thought is was a â€œbit manicâ€ and â€œshrieky,â€ but that she had â€œdone wellâ€ and it was â€œ100%â€ she would â€œbe here next week.â€ Thought we would want to know that she really loves football.
- Haley Scarnato â€“ Randy didnâ€™t think the performance had any â€œpizzazz.â€ Paula thought she sang â€œwellâ€ and Simon â€œthought it was horrible.â€ Simon doesnâ€™t think she has â€œmade an impression.â€ Other than being pretty, I donâ€™t think she has, as well. She reminds me a bit of Katharine McPhee, but without as good a voice. Thought we would want to know that she was a gymnast when she was younger.
- Antonella Barba â€“ When she said that she thought she deserved to be in the Top 12 because she was different than the rest of the performers, I both agreed and disagreed. I disagreed that she should make the Top 12 and agreed that she is different than the rest. They are good and she isnâ€™t. Randy thought she had a â€œnice endingâ€ to her song and Paula thought she â€œpicked the right song.â€ Simon told her she has â€œgone as far as you can go,â€ but that it â€œwasnâ€™t your worst.â€ Thought we would want to know that she can play the violin.
Based on last nights performances Haley Scarnato and Antonella Barba should be the ones packing their bags and heading home. Based on the three weeks as a whole, it would still be Haley and Antonella saying goodbye.
In the following order, my Top 6 Women to go to the Top 12 would be:
- Malinda Doolittle
- LaKisha Jones
- Gina Glocksen
- Sabrina Sloan
- Stephanie Edwards
- Jordin Sparks
I have a bad feeling that one of the deserving women listed above is going to end up out and Antonella is still going to be in. Who do you think should make the Top 12 on American Idol Season 6 from the womenâ€™s side of things?