This getting home from work and watching the show with a bowl of cereal is really working for me, as I am watching the performances from the Top 8 on American Idol season seven here at 4:14 a.m. Wednesday morning.
Tonight, the contestants are singing inspirational songs, as tomorrow is Idol Gives Back 2008 and the results show will be on Thursday.
How Did the Performances of the Top 8 on American Idol Season 7 Rank?
- David Archuleta — His the seventh to sing and chose “Angels.” He is playing the piano as he sings. He sounds really good. Might just be the best of the night, with one left to go. Randy thought it was his “hottest moment all season.” Paula thought it was “fantastic.” Simon thought it was a great song choice and while he had a few minor quibbles, he thinks he will “sail through.”
- Jason Castro — Third to take the stage and is singing “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” He is singing with ukulele and is sounding really good. Randy thought he is “back in the hunt.” Paula thinks he has a “definitive sound.” Simon thought it was “fantastic.”
- Kristy Lee Cook — She is the fourth to sing and chose “Anyway” by Martina McBride. Good choice going with a country song. This just might be her best week yet. Randy “loved it.” Paula thinks she outdid herself and it was her “best.” Simon thought she was “very, very good.”
- David Cook — He is the fifth to sing and is singing “Innocent” by Our Lady Peace. He is by far the best performer in the contest, but this wasn’t his best. Randy thought, “it fell a little short” for him. Paula liked it. Simon thought it was a bit “pompous” and not as good as the last two weeks.
- Michael Johns — He is the first to take the stage tonight and is singing “Dream On” by Aerosmith. He sounds pretty good when you can hear him, as the guitar is overtaking him in places. He ended better than he started. Randy thinks it had “pitch problems” and was just “all right.” Paula disagrees with Randy and thinks it was the “perfect song” for him. Simon thought it was “a very good performance.”
- Syesha Mercado — She is second to take the stage and is going with Fantasia’s “I Believe.” Bold choice to sing something done by a former Idol winner, and it isn’t working quite as well. She does sound pretty good. Randy thinks it was “okay” and didn’t have a “connection” with him. Paula rambled something. Simon thought it lacked “emotion,” but sounded “technically” good.
- Brooke White — She is last to take the stage and is singing, “You’ve Got a Friend.” It is starting off a bit rough for me. She is sounding good in the middle, but I am not getting that emotional connection you should be getting on a night like this. Randy thought it was “okay.” Paula thought it was a great way to end the night. Simon thought it was “nice” and “pleasant.”
- Carly Smithson — She is coming out on stage sixth and is going with “Show Must Go On” by Queen. She can definitely sing, but it is not connecting with me. Randy thought it was “okay.” Paula didn’t feel the “connection” either. Simon thought she “over sang it” and that it sounded a bit on the “angry” side.
Based solely on this week’s performances, I think Carly Smithson should be exiting the stage. But, given her body of work, I just don’t see her going home quite yet. She will be in the bottom three and with her will be Brooke White and Syesha Mercado. Finally got back on track by picking two out of the bottom three last week, which included the right choice for who would be going home. This week it will be Syesha Mercado packing her bags and heading home.
What do you think? Who should go home after the Top 8 performed on American Idol Season 7? Who do you think will be going home?